Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 3 years ago

Family relationships in Pride and Prejudice?

I'm trying to create a three-pronged thesis for a Pride Prejudice essay revolving around family relationships. So far I have that family relationships impact judgments of others, and influence marriage, but I can't think of another. Help?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

⠀⠀⠀There are many different families, all with different dynamics. Consider Darcy and his sister. He has an extremely fond devotion towards her, is good friends with her (as it is alluded to the fact that he told her about Elizabeth), and she reciprocates those feelings. Then there is the infamous Mr. Wickham, who, though growing up like a brother to Darcy, earned Darcy's disrespect forever through bad actions. Darcy's father seemed a kind man that was fond of all of his children, and Wickham seems to have manipulated that relationship a bit, or at least taken it for granted.

⠀⠀⠀The Bennett family is more dynamic; Liz and Jane are very close together, but Liz doesn't share that same bond with her other sisters. In fact, she is aware of her other sisters' lack of social tact, and finds them embarrassing. She holds an interesting relationship with her high-strung mother. She tolerates and helps her, without endorsing her sometimes erratic behaviors and beliefs. She seems to be close to her dad; he is fond of her and she of him. She turns to him for help when Collins proposes, and he supports her.

⠀⠀⠀The other families in the book play such minor roles; extended family offers a good vacation for the girls here and there, and are good for favors or mentions every once in a while. All in all, the relationships are diverse, from disdain to fond affection.

⠀⠀⠀A thesis that you could say about all of the family relationships in Pride and Prejudice is: The social ranking of families determines how successful they may reasonably expect to be in later life.

⠀⠀⠀The family is the predominant unit of social life in Pride and Prejudice and forms the emotional center of the novel. Not only does it provide (or fail to provide, as in the case of Lydia) the Bennet daughters with their education and manners, but the social ranking of the family determines how successful they may reasonably expect to be in later life. Austen skillfully reveals how individual character is molded within the family by presenting Jane and Elizabeth as mature, intelligent adults, and Lydia as a hapless fool. The friction between Elizabeth and her mother on the one hand and the sympathy she shares with Mr. Bennet on the other illustrate the emotional spectrum that colors the family's overall character. The influence of Elizabeth's aunt and uncle shows how the family works in an extended sense, with the Gardiners acting as substitute parents, providing much needed emotional support at key moments of stress.

⠀⠀⠀Here are some quotes that I found on family which you can use in your essay: http://bit.ly/2kQZT8q

⠀⠀⠀Hope this helps! Message me if you have any additional questions, because I'd be more than happy to share my notes with you. Good luck with your essay :)

Source(s): I just finished studying this book like two weeks ago in English class
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

There is the important relationship of Mr Collins, who is Mr. Bennet's cousin. He will be the one who will inherit Longbourn after Mr. Bennet dies. Remember, the estate is entailed, meaning that, according to the terms of inheritance, it must go to a male heir. Because Bennet's children are all female, the property will, by law, go to the next closest male relative: Mr. Collins. Using marriage to save themselves from ruin is the same thing that guides Charlotte Lucas towards Collins herself - no such concerns for love when faced with destitution.

There is also Darcy's relationship with his sister - something though which we realise he is not all bad.

And Lady Catherine who take a much more pragmatic view about using relationships to reflect the status of the families involved, irrespective of the feelings of the intending parties.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.