Bryce
Bryce asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 3 years ago

Why is having gray hair at 22 bothering me so much?

I am 23 years old and in the Navy. Soon after I got my first regulation hair cut in basic, I've noticed gray hair.

Until last week I was the only one who noticed it. Or if others noticed it, they didn't say anything about it.

Then a few days ago one of my buddies said, "Dude, did you know you have gray hair?"

I got red in the face and it wasn't from embarrassment.

So why is this bugging me? I'm not a vain person.

In the six months since I've noticed it I've done some research and premature gray hair either indicates a genetic link, poor diet, or some underlying health issues.

Nobody in my family went gray early. My oldest brother is pushing 40 and has jet black hair. My mother was 59 when she passed away with just a few spots of gray. My dad is now 61 years old and he has salt and pepper hair, but he's 61.

My diet certainly isn't an issue. I have a pretty balanced diet, high in fruits and vegetables.

So that left me worrying that I might have a thyroid condition, but the tests all came back negative.

So for no apparent reason, I'm going gray in my early 20s.

It shouldn't bug me but it does. I'm not a vain person and I hate feeling this way. I don't think I will dye because I remember a professor at college who was in his early 30s and graying coming in one Monday with brown hair, and by Friday it had turned orange.

I don't know if anyone can answer why I'm bugged by this or when I'll be comfortable with it.

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

Graying is almost always due to inherited DNA. The reason it is bothering you is because people stereotype guys with gray hair as older than they are; most 22 year old guys want girls to think they are around 22. There is no reason this should be an issue; simply dye your hair to its natural color which is allowed by Navy Grooming Standards. There is no chance of dyed hair turning orange if dyed the hair's natural color with an ammonia free dye. Can also use a shampoo for dyed hair, has a lower pH so the hair cuticle does not open as much and let out the dye. With very short hair as the Navy requires at the lower edge of hair growth in the back, will have to dye weekly to keep the gray emerging from the scalp from being visible.

But usually, for a 22 year old guy, it is the hair around the temples that is turning gray, then the mid back/sides, later spreading to the crown and top and finally to the nape and lower edge at the back.

Suggest using an ammonia free women's dye like revlon colorsilk. With short gray hair where not all the hair is gray, with faster acting men's color, like JFM, it often does not get the gray to the color in the recommended time so has to be left on longer, but then the hair that is not gray gets dyed much darker than the natural color, even for a few minutes longer.

With slower acting women's dyes, the extra time, 20-25 minutes v 5-10 minutes for men's dyes, allows the tough to dye short gray hair to take the dye. Women's dyes are also more economical. One box of revlon is less than half the cost of JFM and contains twice as much product. Can also be mixed in a separate container and applied with a gloved hand to short hair. One box will last for at least four dyes of the longest haircuts allowed by the Navy. When mixing revlon colorsilk, there is twice as much dye as creme developer regardless that it states on the bottles 2 oz of each, so the ratio is 2 parts dye to one part developer, in other words, two teaspoons dye to one teaspoon developer. Do not let the developer and dye not being used come into contact with each other.

As alluded to above, and depending on where the hair is graying, it can make it easier to dye if the hair is worn longer with a longer taper on the back/sides, a regular haircut is going to be easier to keep dyed than an ivy league and an ivy league easier than a crew cut with the proviso that the shorter the haircut, the quicker it is going to be to apply the dye. If it is only the temples that are graying and a regular haircut is worn with a long taper that is cut every two or three weeks, and the hair color is exactly matched, it might be possible to only dye the graying temple areas after each haircut.

The general idea with guy's medium to short styles is to maximize and minimize the volume of hair in various areas of the head to create the illusion of an oval face shape, considered the ideal shape, with a somewhat more boxy than rounded skull shape when the face is viewed from the front and in side profile, a somewhat more rounded than boxy skull shape at the back of the head.

http://i.imgur.com/OSCe5ZV.jpg

"Oval: The oval face is the ideal shape. It is designated as the "egg" shape. It is wider at the forehead and tapers to a well rounded chin. This type of face looks equally becoming with hair worn low or high on the head; and likewise, either a center or side part or no part at all is becoming, depending somewhat on other facial characteristics."

L.S. Trusty, "The Art and Science of Barbering" pg129.

A good barber can usually design a regular haircut or one of the short pomp(pompadour) styles-crew cut, ivy league(long crew cut), flat top crew cut- to fully suit most young guys. In contrast, relatively few guys fully suit a butch, brush cut(long butch) or burr(short butch.) The main difference between a short pomp style and a butch, burr, brush cut is that a butch, burr, brush cut is a uniform short length on top while the top hair of a short pomp style is longest at the front hairline and graduates shorter in length to the crown which allows a barber to design a short pomp style to fully suit most combinations of male skull shape, frontal hairline, face shape etc Most girls are fine with whatever standard medium to short style a guy chooses to wear as long as the style fully suits and is kept clean and looking well groomed and the guy doesn't spend a lot of time on his hair. If a guy wants to go to a shorter style for the summer or one of his sporting activities, that is fine with most girls too even when she prefers that he wear a somewhat longer style. Around here most college guys are wearing regular haircuts with long tapers on the back/sides, though since last summer a not insignificant number have switched to regular haircuts with medium or semi-short tapers on the back/sides, ivy leagues or crew cuts and recently some have been growing out to regular haircuts with extra long tapers on the back/sides. Starting from a butch or short crew cut, a guy can grow out his hair and have it look great as it grows out if he keeps up with haircuts, getting a slightly longer style each haircut. Assuming an average rate of hair growth of 1/8" per week and haircuts every three weeks, the following styles are a haircut apart: butch, short crew cut; medium crew cut; short ivy league; ivy league; long ivy league; short regular haircut, regular haircut. A photo is the best way to describe a style to a barber or stylist.

regular haircut, long taper on the back/sides:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/80803651238e0738_...

ttp://oi60.tinypic.com/2hdczr8.jpg

regular haircut, medium taper on the back/sides:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/55c5c155a74bf22b_...

ttp://oi54.tinypic.com/1445gn5.jpg

regular haircut, semi-short taper on the back/sides:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/067a2a8e87978148_...

regular haircut, short taper on the back/sides:

ttp://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/

daaea942199baad0_large

ivy league(long crew cut):

worn spiked up....

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/45368d8c59451f3a_...

ttp://oi50.tinypic.com/1fdywx.jpg

ttp://oi46.tinypic.com/sgpjs7.jpg

worn down and brushed to the side...

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/d2e97250e0614ff6_...

medium crew cut:

http://books.google.com/books?id=x0EEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=...

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ae218215599f9a96_...

ttp://oi48.tinypic.com/2i209b6.jpg

ttp://oi49.tinypic.com/iqzl80.jpg

short crew cut:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/dfbf10e504bce8a1_...

Some barbers consider that all crew cuts should have a flat top, so it is best to not rely on words alone for even a widely recognized style like a crew cut.

flat top crew cut:

ttp://oi48.tinypic.com/f0dumb.jpg

ttp://oi50.tinypic.com/2ymzhq8.jpg

ttp://oi48.tinypic.com/k4b29f.jpg

ttp://oi50.tinypic.com/2v33tok.jpg

regular haircut to summer crew cut:

http://books.google.com/books?id=gEwEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=...

Butch v Crew:

ttp://oi57.tinypic.com/23iawiw.jpg

This is a brush cut around 5/8" on top with the sides tapered down to around 2/8" at the top of the ears on a guy who fully suits a brush cut, most guys don't:

ttp://oi60.tinypic.com/ff0ncp.jpg

This is a butch, around 3/8" on top, sides tapered down to around 2/8" on a guy who fully suits a butch:

ttp://oi58.tinypic.com/qrisn8.jpg

Forward Brush:

ttp://i.imgur.com/tyQYoKW.jpg

ttp://i.imgur.com/QlZ0OFB.jpg

Search the internet for images of football(soccer)star Lukas Podolski for examples of ivy league and crew cut styles. A minute dab of control wax aka butch wax will keep the hair looking well groomed at crew cut and ivy league length. A butch comb also helps with grooming the short pomp styles- the small, flat, plastic, oval, pocket brushes that one finger fits through and barbers sell for about a dollar. A boar bristle military brush is usually available for a few dollars and while too large for a guy to carry in his pocket, is nice to have at home.

ttp://oi55.tinypic.com/xf83tc.jpg

here are a few regular haircuts:

ttp://oi60.tinypic.com/ivvorn.jpg

ttp://oi59.tinypic.com/10pxb7p.jpg

ttp://oi61.tinypic.com/t558cl.jpg

ttp://oi62.tinypic.com/206kg2h.jpg

Same guy as above, hair groomed with a little dab of brylcreem...

ttp://oi60.tinypic.com/uo603.jpg

An ivy league, is considered to be a convertible haircut as it can be styled several ways...

1) Lightly waxed, side parted and brushed to the side with a short pompadour at the front hairline.

2)) Lightly waxed, side parted and brushed to the side without a short pompadour at the front hairline.

3) Lightly waxed and brushed back off the forehead like a crew cut.

4) Lightly waxed with the top hair brushed forward and the short bangs on the forehead like a forward brush.

5) Lightly waxed with the top hair brushed forward and the short bangs brushed back off the forehead like a crew cut.

here are a few ivy leagues...

ttp://oi43.tinypic.com/15nnb06.jpg

ttp://oi39.tinypic.com/28hq5nq.jpg

ttp://oi41.tinypic.com/1ktcl.jpg

ttp://oi42.tinypic.com/15f6kif.jpg

ttp://oi41.tinypic.com/15pq0w0.jpg

ttp://oi40.tinypic.com/rcvfcx.jpg

ttp://oi42.tinypic.com/rarptx.jpg

ttp://oi39.tinypic.com/2hd2lbl.jpg

ttp://oi41.tinypic.com/dqiq0z.jpg