I want to move everything from my HDD to my SSD what is the best way to do this?

I thought this was something very easy, but it seems it is very hard.

First thing I tried is cloning my C: drive to my ssd. That worked out. So when I unplugged my hard drive from the computer, I turned my computer on, but my computer said it couldn't load the operating system.

So i plugged the hard drive back in the computer and downloaded windows 10 on my usb with the Media Creation tool, and did everything again.

This time I got into the windows installation, but after the installation Windows told me to turn off my computer and then turn it back on. So I did that, but then it got me back to the installation from the start....

Isn't there an easy way to do this?

Best Answer

Yes delete all SD partitions make a system image on an external HD of the drive you wish to copy and make a recovery CD..

Now just so you know you can not clone a

500 gig hard drive to a 200 gig SD. You need to shrink the hard drive partition as much as possible and leave the rest unallocated before you make the image. Unplug the HD leaving the SD boot the recovery CD and select restore a system image choose the image that's on your USB hard drive and let it do its thing.

Then restart it will boot right up after which you can go to disk Management and extend the partition into the raw space.

Now after you see it work turn it off insert the other HD and start in BIOS disable the physical HD as a boot device or place it very last on the list. Now boot up it should boot from the SD.

If so you can now format the HD and use it for storage. In the event it stubbornly boots to the HD instead of the HD you will have to pull out the HD and format changing drive letter other PC!

• Rayal

You have to use a "Cloning software" not just drag and drop copying.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-insta...

If you have any Western Digital drive (even if just external USB) you can get a free version of Acronis from wdc.com. Similarly if you have any Seagate or Maxtor drive you could get that from seagate.com.

But you likely have to make sure that Windows "fast boot" is disabled before you image the drive or clone it to another drive. If you image the drive and then write the image to a new drive, you can even resize partition(s). But if you image the drive, you also need to make sure that you include the MBR or UEFI boot.