Can you scan a website to see how many times a specific word is used in it?

I mean the entire website, not just one page. For instance, would it be possible to scan the entire CNN.com website to find out how many times they used the word "democrats"?

Favorite Answer

Yes, that's possible down to a certain level. But it requires downloading the pages (no images, just text) to your computer and do a recursive word search. That requires a bit of storage space. And then you'll have to write a script that, for example, just count "democrat", "democrats", "democratic", but only in relation to government, not "democratic societies", but, if, only in relation to U.S. NGOs, and not "demo" as in "demographic" or ancient Greek democracy, so, you see:

Big data is much more than evaluating words.

• Pablo3 years agoReport

Very important points raised, and solution offered too! ha! thanks!

If you mean on a single webpage you can use the find feature. I can guide you there easily on Chrome and Edge. Just open the options or tools menu. It doesn't have an easily seen name but it is marked with thre dots in both browsers. Click on "find" or "find on page." Then type in whatever you're looking for. It will tell you how many times it sees that word.

Just use the find feature. Type ctrl + f on your keyboard and then type the word. It will show at the top right corner how many times the word shows up.

• Pablo3 years agoReport

Thanks Sharon. However, I'm looking for a way to scan an entire website not just a webpage. I should have been more specific in my question.