Is it inappropriate for a woman to wear a pink business suit in a corporate job?

I was shopping online for some business suits to match my personality (just got job as a paralegal for a corporate law firm) and a found a very nice, soft-pink, business suit. I was telling a guy friend about the suit (who, mind you, does NOT have a corporate job) and he immediately said "oh, you can't wear a pink suit!" as if showing a little femininity is wrong. The suit is not bright or gawdy, it reasonably conservative, and looks professional despite being pink. Thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Only you know the office culture where YOU work. Based on what you've seen there, surely you can make a judgement about what is appropriate attire for the workplace where you go every day.

Showing femininity isn't unprofessional; you can wear a pink blouse or tasteful jewelry and look quite professional. But unless you are Delores Umbridge, you probably shouldn't wear a pink suit to work.

It depends upon your work environment and the culture it is into. My advice is to go with so dark and grey shades that can give you a professional look and feel.

I loved my designer pink suit (Michael Kors). Very femme. I paired it with either navy or black shoes and blouse. It was short sleeved too. Perfect for me. I still have a picture of me wearing it--a group photo with a US president.

• tro

pink is not indicative of professional decorum

you don't want to stand out like a sore thumb, you need to blend in with the professional atmosphere

No, I'd imagine it should matter if you're doing your job properly

• Tavy

Have you ever seen anyone wearing pink in a Court of Law?

Presume you want to be taken seriously not as an airhead wearing Look at me clothes.

no

• Jeff D

It depends on the business, I guess. Some companies like to project a more reserved image. Many law firms do have a dress code, though it may vary if you don't have court appearances or client meetings.

Weird