if you shoot a bullet from the moon towards the earth, could it hurt anyones?

Update:

or would it's get 'stuck' in atmosphere??

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Art
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Nope even if you can reach escape velocity.

1) the Earth will have moves several hundred thousand miles out of the way by the time the bullet gets to where you aimed.

2) If by some fluke you aimed the right direction it would burn on striking the atmosphere.

• 4 years ago

It may fall back down due to moon's gravity

If it gets into space, then it may fly towards earth

At which point it'll burn up in the atmosphere

• Fred
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Firstly likely by the time the bullet got to earth, the earth in relation to the moon would have moved and may no longer be where you originally aimed at. The gravity on the moon is only one sixth of what it is here and there is no atmosphere to cause friction to slow the bullet down so say the bullet could escape the gravitational pull of the moon and was on target for earth then the earth's gravitational force may accelerate the speed of the bullet to the point as it entered our upper atmosphere it would probably burn up as meteorites do. Say it survived entry through earth's atmosphere then the chance of it hitting a person is extremely remote. There apparently has only been one or two cases reported of people ever being hit by a meteorite. Personally I doubt the bullet could escape the gravitational pull of the moon so I would say no it is not possible.

I think there have been special super long barrelled canon made that could fire a shell 60 miles (100 kms) so maybe a shell fired from the moon could escape the moon's lower gravitational pull, but even if it hit earth would the shell get through our atmosphere without burning up and then the chance of it actually hitting a person and fluke a kill of that person is incredibly minute.

• 4 years ago

Nope, it would burn up in the atmosphere. Objects much larger than bullets burn up.

G

However, if Earth had no atmosphere, it is possible it could hurt someone when meeting no resistance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

No

• ?
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Yes It can hurt anyone if it comes down on this earth

• 4 years ago

It will burn up in the atmosphere before anyone would notice

• 4 years ago

Only my Grade 12 Physics teacher.

• Jamie
    Lv 5
    4 years ago

I don't know, why don't you go there as soon as you put down the bottle of glue and see for yourself.?

• 4 years ago

No.

If you could fire a bullet at 2.38 kilometers per second at a trajectory that would carry it to Earth, it would arrive moving over 11 kilometers per second and burn up in the atmosphere.

If it hit the International Space Station then yes, it could injure or kill someone there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.