Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 years ago

How come every time I walk into a store they think I'm shoplifting?

I don't know, I guess I look a little shady to some people. I have quite long hair for a male. And I always cover it up with a beanie. Every single time I walk into any store, whether it's a convenience store, a dollar store or any other type of store. The moment I get spotted walking into the entrance door they just suspiciously stare at me and start following me. I'm not a shoplifter at all, I've never stolen anything before in my life. But literally, instead of actually witnessing me shoplifting they just assume because of the way I'm dressed. I usually get followed around the store, or they just watch me the whole time and give me dirty looks. One night at 7 PM. I was shopping at the dollar store. It was just about closing time, only a few people in the store. I went to pay and while the lady was scanning my items she picked up the intercom phone and loudly said over the intercom "Security cameras reviewed, security cameras reviewed please" And another time I was in a convenience store and I heard two staff whispering to each other right in front of me. I heard something like "Just keep an eye on that guy right there". Literally while they were right there. I don't get it. Why do employees assume I'm a shoplifter the moment they see me walk into the store. Without actually catching me doing it. They're just like "Oh that guy looks like a shoplifter so we better keep an eye on him and follow him."

Our society bases their instincts by what they see, and the info they gather. If you have the basic characteristics of a shady person, they feel that's a shady person. But it does raise problems with how society is today not wanting to be judged by their looks. But I can't expect to dress like a slob at a business job and be taken seriously. If we start looking at people without classification or a sort of judgement, it goes against our instincts and intuition. That's why I guess it's so hard for society to change.

IGNORE them.

IF one of them should ask, "May I help you?" tell him/her to fetch you a newspaper. Or ask him/her to carry the items you intend to purchase.

Here's an idea! IF the store provide shopping baskets, fill one or two with lots of different items and when you get to the cash register, take your money out as though you're ready to pay and ask why they ALWAYS follow you around... if you don't get an apology, just walk out and leave all the items on the counter/register area; let THEM put those items back (that's what they work there for). You want to REALLY show them a lesson? Have one of your friends enter, fill a basket with items and when he gets to the register, have another friend enter and tell the one by the register, "Hey, you shop here? This is the store that follows (your name) around like he's a crook..." and that's when he walks out, leaving all the items by the register, too.

You're black.

Could it be because you are.

Perhaps because you are black or Mexican.

If they are profiling you because of your race, that's very wrong. However, when you get dressed, fix your hair, etc. you are choosing how you present yourself to the world. You can't then blame people for making assumptions based on those choices you've made. Try one time- pull your hair back neatly, shave, wear neat clothes, take out the piercings, hide the tattoos, and see if people react differently when you go in a store. You can still choose to dress and look however you want, but you just have to deal with the consequences.

Are you black ?

Just like the people that work at Best Buy always in your business like your goin to jack something how annoying that is Hahahaha just because I like metal doesn't mean I'm a thug I fackin hate people that judge you on how your dress

The simple solution is for you to stop looking like a thug. Start with a haircut and stop wearing the hoodie.

• Jack

probably just all in your head..paranoid much?....because from a cashiers perspecive why would someone pay for some items and steal another...it was probably coincidence for someone else..just the fact that you are paying attention to the employees, means your not really shopping but being cautious of those around you,