Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Asking opinions on our honeymoon itinerary in Ireland?

Hi all, I'm planning my honeymoon for the end of August and just wanted opinions on anything we might want to add in. We'll be there from the 24th of August to the 4th of September and are flying into and out of Dublin. We want to see a little bit of everything, to really experience the culture and to have a nice mix of relaxation and adventure/ exploration. We're in our early 20's and tend to prefer to stay away from the overly touristy attractions when traveling. Our rough plan is as follows:

August 24th: Arrive Dublin early morning, pick up rental car, head to Rock of Cashel and stay overnight in County Clare

August 25: Aran Islands tour 10-5, explore local pubs/ music, stay again in Clare

August 26: The Burren and Cliffs of Moher, stay again in Clare

August 27: Stop in Galway on way to Donegal, visit Glenveagh Nat'l Park, stay in Donegal

August 28: Go to beach, Giant's Causeway, Dunluce's castle and drive to Northeastern Ireland/ possibly Belfast area for overnight stay

August 29: Game of Thrones tour, explore Belfast, St. George's Market, stay again in NE Ireland

August 30:Drive to Dublin, stopping at Bridges park in Meath on the way, stay local or move on to Dublin for night

We also plan to spend 3 nights in Dublin, but have a bit of room left in the schedule to possibly stay one or two nights at another stop along the way, any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

• Orla C
    Favorite Answer

Okay, one thing at a time. This is your first time in Ireland? Just so long as you know you WON'T be covering a mile a minute. It's just not physically possible to travel that fast. Irish roads were not built for it, except for motorways. We don't have a lot of motorways.

You will be leaving the motorway to get to Cashel, after this there will be very little motorway to get to where you're going in Clare. This will add considerable time to your trip. It's not a good idea to do this on the first day after flying in to Dublin, you'll be tired and trying to figure out the traffic and how to use roundabouts. It would be faster to continue to Limerick city and go around the city and on to Clare. There are plenty of castles in Clare you can check out.

The Aran Islands tour sounds lovely, but be prepared to make alternative plans if the weather is not favourable. They won't be sailing if they think it's dangerous. And a reminder: the weather in Ireland is highly unpredictable, even in August.

Stop in Galway on the way to Donegal, AND visit the national park? Are you kidding me? Clare to Donegal is AT LEAST 4 HOURS in the car, WITHOUT stopping in Galway. Unless you get up at the crack of dawn, this is going to be a long day.

The Giant's Causeway and Dunluce Castle ARE in Northern Ireland. You need to check with your car hire company about driving into NI if you're renting in the Republic, as you will be leaving the state and going into what is officially another country. And if you are going in July, well, you might get caught up in the marching season - so be prepared for that. Avoid the large towns.

You are looking for suggestions? Keep 2 nights in Dublin, but get rid of the car while you're there and use the public transport instead, much easier. Also, instead of that long trek between Clare and Donegal, stop off in Sligo for the night. Famous for being Yeats country, and the landscape is beautiful.

Personally I think you would get more out of it if you concentrated in one region instead of trekking up to the NI as well. I would suggest exploring Clare, the city of Galway (park the car and walk) and County Galway, it's magnificent. You might have an extra day if the Aran Island trip is cancelled, you could consider that too. A night out in Galway city is well worth it. You'll have to book in advance if you're travelling in the summer months, however.

Oh, and learn to drive a stick shift car if you don't already. Automatic cars are few and far between here.

You're going to have so much fun! My husband and I went to Ireland for our honeymoon and loved it! We want to go back for our next big trip.

Rental cars there are great and we had no problem with ours (we used Enterprise), make sure you get it with navigation we would have been lost without it. I never drove on the opposite side of the road or used large roundabouts so I was very intimidated, but it gets easier. Just drive slow and pay attention!

Definitely go to Galway. That was the best part of our trip. So much to do there. Great food, pubs, live music. Don't miss the Spanish Arches while you're there. Such great culture and action happening down there. We met some great people there that we still keep in touch with!

Another great place was Trim. Go to Trim Castle (the movie Braveheart had scenes there), and afterwards go to the James Griffin pub. Really great!

Lastly, The Wildflower Cafe in Co Meath was amazing. Great food and very cute cafe.

Have fun!!

• ?

As you have demonstrated no awareness of this fact in your question, the place you're calling "Northeastern Ireland" is actually called Northern Ireland and is part of another country (the United Kingdom) to the rest of Ireland. This has implications on which visas you need to obtain; you may well need a UK visa as well as a 'multiple entry' Irish visa, and all that may depend on which country you're from. To know for sure I suggest you read this: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_countr...

In actual fact, there is no physical border between NI and the Republic, so you can freely cross without any travel documents, and all things being equal you can slip back and forth without anyone knowing. But problems may arise if you get into medical / legal trouble and the authorities find out that you're not in the country legally. As I said, read the advice on that website.

I hope you have a lovely honeymoon, but I have nothing to add to your itinerary.

Hmm! If it's southern, it's Catholic, so I suggest lotsa early morning masses, the rest of the day Guinness