Neurons, fill in the blank question?

__________ can excite almost every Neuron in the brain and the Nervous System, whereas _________ has an inhibitory effect on the brain.

I'm pretty sure the second option is GABA but I don't know what the first is.

These are the options: GABA

locks

fire

glutamate

synaptic transmission

neurotrannsmitters terminal axon

synaptic vesicles

receptors

inhibited

reduced

synapse

open

lock and key

action potential

bind synaptic cleft

reduced

key

charge

terminal buttons

molecular

electrical impulse

Dendrites

protein

activated

2 Answers

Relevance
  • John T
    Lv 5
    3 years ago
    Best Answer

1. Glutamate (it depends on the receptor function. Most are excitatory)

2. GABA (you're correct. Again, it depends on the receptors but most are inhibitory)

Take home message

The action of a chemical signal (a ligand) is determined by the function of the receptors to which it binds.

So even though your lecture or book say, X is an excitatory neurotransmitter and Y is an inhibitory transmitter, this is not completely accurate.

For example

What is Acetylcholine (Ach)? Well, it can be either type. If it binds nAChRs on postganglionic fibers or skeletal myocytes, Ach excites these cells. However, if it binds mAChRs on the heart, heart rate decreases, so you might call this effect inhibitory. mAChRs even have subclasses. mAChRs in the digestive glands, lets use the stomach would bind Ach and stimulate acid secretion in the stomach, so you would call this case excitatory.

I hope this makes sense. The classification of NTs as excitatory or inhibitory is based on the function of the receptors to which they bind.

• 3 years ago

Acetylcholine....

• mconti2513 years agoReport

That is not one of the options though, it has to be from that list

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.