My MIL moved out of state and left her 13 year old daughter here to fend for herself. What needs to happen?

My MILpacked her things up, and had her daughter pack some clothes into a suitcase, gave her $20 dollars, and said I'll be back for you at the end of the school year. She moved to florida, and left the daughter in Alabama. She has been crashing on couches all week. She is safe where she is now. When I pick her up, what steps do I need to take?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

I would contact CPS. If you are willing to foster the child either you or the state will become her legal guardian. She needs a legal guardian because she is a minor and someone has to be able to make decisions on her behalf. Since her mother isn't around to do it then someone must.

When the mother comes back for her at the end of the school year I'd let CPS and the courts decide whether or not that child should be returned to the mother's custody.

Because of the child's age and lack of provisions provided to her, the law would consider it to be child abandonment under Alabama law.

• Blunt

Call CPS and report an abandoned child.