Can I use my 3 TB external hard drive on both my Xbox one and Xbox 360?

So I recently got a Xbox 360 but it has no hard drive. My Xbox one has a external hard drive already I it with plenty of space still on it could I use it for my Xbox 360 as well?

• opurt
    Favorite Answer

No, for two reasons.

The 360 only supports external hard drives up to 2TB in size, and if a drive has been formatted by the Xbox One for its own use then it can only be used by Xbox One consoles unless you reformat it.

• Kyle

depending on the games you have on Xbox 360, if they are backwards compatible to Xbox One, any saved progress you can store on the cloud. then just download when you want to play on Xbox One with the disc. cloud storage doesn't take up physical storage for your external drive.

• John M

No, you can only format it for one or the other. Go buy a Microsoft HD for your 360 they are cheap. The 3TB is better on your Xbox One. The 360 can only format 2TB.