promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Sarah asked in PetsFish · 3 years ago

EMERGENCY! I need help! My Betta fish got attacked sometime today and all of his fins are gone. Will he be okay? Will his fins grow back?

He was tanked with a pleco, two snails, and a pair of Senegal bichir. The bichir are new additions. I ve been observing them for a week or so to suss out whether or not they and the Betta would be peaceful. They ve showed no signs of aggression towards each other as far as I ve seen. The Betta is one of my calmer ones, he s been tanked with several other fish, and hasn t ever really bothered anyone. The bichir haven t paid him any mind either, they ve all been kosher. Well today when I got home from work, I spotted something out of a fishy horror movie in my aquarium. The Betta was swimming in place in the wide open, where he usually hangs out, and every single fin he has (besides his side flappers) was eaten off to his body. It s horrible. What I need to know, is will he recover? Will his fins grow back? Is he in pain? What the heck happened here!?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He was just too tempting for them. dont hate the bichers, they are known predators.

Get the betta into a seporated heated, filtered tank, add seachem's prime to help heal, his fins may grow back, only time will tell.

All fish in the tank need to be about 3-5 times bigger them the bichers mouth and should be short finned. And no long fish like danios, or loaches,

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Put him in a separated filtered tank with some aquarium salt, rush to the petshop and buy Betta fix and in the tank you put the Betta in raise the temperature a little. Leave him there for about a month or two

• 3 years ago

" Given enough time, any fish that can fit in the bichir's mouth will be eaten; this fish should not be kept with any other fish smaller than three inches. It will also bite fins of other fishes if it can. "

Jeez.......

• 3 years ago

If he is eating and has kick, he will likely survive. A separate tank and warm water is what he needs.

While the fins should grow back, they won't look quite like they did before. Just as a side note bichirs are pretty peaceful with fish their size and larger, but will attack smaller ones once settled in. Good luck, hope he heals.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Betta fish have fins that can grow back without much medical treatment. If you do not have the right water for the fish, he/she's fin would not do a good job trying to grow back.

In my opinion, take he/she to a place that you can get help just to make sure if it's severe or not. Don't worry.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

bretta fish dont have pleco snails

• 3 years ago

Oh gosh

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.