Why Was Brent Musburger Fired From CBS Sports Back In The Day?

I really don't know so please be kind enough to give me the details :)

Thanks to all who answer. Just give me time to get back and read the answers.

Favorite Answer

First off, I was busy finishing up college in Musberger's last months at CBS. While I saw games on TV during study breaks, I didn't pay attention to the off-set dramas. I hearing rumors about things not going well, and then at the end of the 1990 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Game Duke-UNLV game, he bid farewell.

Brent was everywhere on CBS at the end, hosting the NFL Today as well as play-by-play for college basketball and Major League Baseball. I think I heard CBS was unhappy that only Brent got the high-profile assignments and that he was preparing to ask for a monster contract. It's also possible that Brent wasn't fired as much as his contract not being renewed. Either way, that theory makes sense to me.

Incidentally, I never cared for Brent's style of announcing. He repeated the obvious and occasionally broadcast his imagined conversations along the sidelines. He actively rooted for one team. (At halftime of the NCAA Championship between Duke and Louisville, Duke held a small lead. "Only 20 minutes until Duke wins its first national championship!" Brent proclaimed. Louisville won.) Color announcers had to speak quickly because Brent gave them little time to talk. He was very good in the studio but performed poorly in the booth.

• James

I don't recall any specific issues or drama. It appears to have been a money move and the result of lost contracts. CBS had lost the NBA and were scheduled to lose college football at the time they terminated Musburger.

Making racial comment

• Lv 5
      4 years agoReport

that was jimmy the greek,not musberger