Is being gay dangerous in Russia?

I've met many Russians and they were all nice and didn't care I was gay but I was wondering if I visit should I tell people I'm gay when they ask me the inevitable question "do you have a girlfriend"?

• Fred
    Favorite Answer

It does depend who you are approached by in the street. From my understanding gay guys are being beaten up and even killed and the police seeing the victim was a gay man generally will not do an investigation. From my understanding some areas of Russia are worse than others for homophobic behaviour and have heard some cities seem more accepting of gays than others. It appears as so it is the skin heads who are the ones who do the worse things to gays as skin heads seem to always be looking for a minority group they can bash or kill knowing they will not likely be punished for it. They seem to thrive on being able to go around in a group looking for vulnerable individuals who have little chance of escape or to get justice.

Perhaps if anyone who is not gay asks if you have a gf just say not at the moment as you found she was cheating on you and she ran off with the other guy. That way you get a bit of sympathy as everyone feels sorry for the guy who had a girlfriend who behaved like a ***** and left you for some other guy. Think a story through so if they ask for details you are ready.

Just be aware in Russia sometimes skin heads will actually go on gay websites and make out they are gay guys looking for sex. When you turn up and it is too late to escape you find yourself surrounded by skin heads looking for someone to bash. Perhaps if you meet up with a guy off the internet you are safe where you can see what sort of guy is meeting you before you have committed yourself. Maybe a café or place where the skin heads are unlikely to cause trouble without the police being called.

There are heaps of nice gay guys in Russia but they are cautious as they know if they get unlucky and come to the notice of skin heads it is not going to be a nice experience.

Yes, going there and showing your gay pride would likely result in the locals beating you to death and then the police would show up after they're done and toss you in jail.

It's illegal to be gay in Russia and there is no law restricting people from beating you because of it.

I'm stating facts I'm not for any of this.

Yes, it can be. Russia is very homophobic. You shouldn't let being gay put you off visiting though. Nobody needs to know your sexuality :) I'm a closeted lesbian and heck even my family don't know yet!! you just keep it hidden... they don't have to know :)

Yes

Yes, many homophobic slavic men will beat the f*ck out of you if they find out you're gay and there are no laws from preventing hate crimes against gays

It's illegal, and anti-gay prejudice is officially reinforced. Just being gay shouldn't be an issue for a tourist to Russia (they need tourist income), but engaging with local gay culture could well be dangerous,,just as it is for the local gays, and if you go with a gay partner you should definitely avoid giving any signs of your relationship in public; there are people who would beat you both up and throw you in the river on principle.

The Putin regime has scapegoated the LGBT community as a way of distracting the Russian people.

.

Yes. Isn't that what Pussy Riot was about?

Don't visit, no one wants you there freak.

It is indeed.