My son wants to include his wife in our family portrait?

We're having our family portrait updated in a few weeks and my youngest son is upset that we don't want his wife included in the photo. He's upset because my other 2 daughters in law will be in it, but the problem is his wife, Anna, is overweight. My wife and I and most of his brothers and sisters feel that having a fat woman in our family portrait will ruin the photo. She wasn't always fat, she was actually quite stunning when they were married, but she's gotten increasingly fat since she had kids. We gave her 10 months notice and told her to lose 43 lbs if she wanted to be in the portrait and she hasn't, so this is really all her fault but my son still feels upset. He's angry because all of the other wives will be in it.... but that's because none of them have embarrassing weight issues. I explained to him that I'll be showing this portrait to clients and business partners as I'll have a copy in my office and in my home. I don't want to have to explain when they laugh and ask about the fat woman that my son is a chubby chaser. Frankly... her weight is an embarrassment to this family. How do I convince him it's his wifes own fault she's being excluded?

• walter
    Best Answer

Actually, it's YOUR family's fault for being cruel to your son and his wife. You don't have the right to demand that someone do something you want, just because you want to have everyone in a picture of the same weight level. This is one of the most childish things I've read in a while. What if it were your child instead of an in-law, and your child had a facial deformity? Would you refuse to include him/her in the family picture? Why do you think anyone else cares, such as the people in your office? This is the woman your son loves, and you're calling him a "chubby chaser"? Frankly, since you're so arrogant and insensitive, I wouldn't blame your son if he moved his family far, far away and never came around you again. You would then never see your grandchildren. When you're old and sick, you will need someone to help you out, and these people won't be there to help due to your childish attitude. I feel sorry for you, because you obviously have never grown past the stage of self absorption. What will happen, if you choose to leave her out of the picture, is that others will ask you why she's not in it and you will have some explaining to do. What will you say? You're ashamed of your son's wife because she's overweight and you thought it would spoil your picture? Really? People who may have formerly thought well of you will quickly change their opinions.

It is more likely that business partners and clients will have far more distrust for a man who has "perfect" people only in photos than a man who shows a more gracious character.

• Nomadd

Trolls are evil and must be destroyed. Get a life and stop annoying people.

• Athena

Yea, I remember my first beer.

yawn. boring trolling

i would let her be in it, your attitude is worse than her being fat, just being honest