Young
Young asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 3 years ago

ASVAB score of 17?

I'm recruiting a girl into the Army and she told me that she got a 17 on the ASVAB. I never really knew how scoring for the ASVAB worked so can someone please tell me if that score is good or bad so I know what to tell her? she would like to be an MP for her MOS.

thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

um i took the asvab and 17 isn't a passing score. "The Army requires a minimum AFQT Score of 31 to qualify for enlistment. However, in recent months, the Army has been approving more and more waivers for those with scores as low as 26 (Category IVA). To qualify for certain enlistment incentives, such as enlistment bonuses, an Army recruit must score a minimum of 50."

• ?

She won't get into the Army with a 17 ASVAB. Minimum would be a 32 just for enlistment.

• Jason

That is half the minimum score required to enlist. Literally. You need a 35 to enlist. The line scores that go along with that are going to be atrocious. She won't qualify for much if anything for jobs. To be an MP you need a Skilled Technical (ST) minimum of 91.

The Skilled Technical line score is composed of:

Word Knowledge

Paragraph Comprehension

Mathematics Knowledge.

General Science

Mechanical Comprehension

The AFQT that she got a 17 on is composed of:

Word Knowledge

Paragraph Comprehension

Mathematics Knowledge.

Arithmetic Reasoning

So three of the areas overlap with the ST line scores she needs. If her scores in those areas are so low she got a 17 they aren't even in the ball park of the 91 you need to be an MP.

She has a LOT of work to do or she will not be enlisting.

.

.

Source(s): Former USAF flight medic and training manager

I don't understand the question, are you a recruiter? Or it sounds more like you're on the hometown leave and you're trying to recruit a freind for the recruiter. In any case, a score of 17 for the ASVAB or the Army is below the lowest standard possible.