Whats the difference between Anime, Manga, and Graphic Novels?

Whats the difference between the three? I'm new to it, I'm only 13, so please be nice.

• Eric
    Best Answer

Anime: In America, this is a cartoon (usually for a teen or older teen audience) that was originally created in Japan for a Japanese audience. In Japan, this refers to ANY cartoon. Most anime is adapted from a manga series.

Manga: In America, a manga is a graphic novel (usually for a teen or older teen audience) that was originally created in Japan for a Japanese audience. In Japan, this refers to ANY graphic novel.

Graphic Novel: A "novel" whose story is told through pictures and dialogue. They are longer than comic books and are typically separated into chapters. (Unfortunately, I haven't read very many American graphic novels, so I can't consider myself any sort of expert on the subject.)

Anime and manga have a very distinctive style, but only outside of Japan. Some American cartoons have merged this style with the traditional American cartoon style (Teen Titans and Avatar: The Last Airbender, for example), which has been met with both good and bad feelings.

Anime - animated shows from Japan

Manga - comics from Japan

Graphic Novels - novels done in comic form; some people consider manga to be graphic novels.

Anime is the cartoons on Tv, Manga is the comics drawn with the anime style, Graphic novels are comics with a different usually more American art style

Actually, the first two are from Japan. Graphic novels can be from anywhere. Also, like their name suggests, they can sometimes have more graphic violence and adult situations. Trade Paperbacks (TP's) have fun stories without leaning towards the graphic content. They are probably better for a cool 13 year old to read. (o: Go to your local library and ask the children's librarian to show you where the kids comics section is.