worked as poll worker election day - is this taxable? New Jersey?

Good day, I worked as a poll worker on election day. The pay is $200 for: 1 1/2 hours training one other day appx. 16 hours election day = about 18 hours or so.

I'd like to know if this this is considered taxable income? When I get the check it's flat $200, doesn't have a stub saying they deduct taxes or anything. I didn't receive a 1099 from the board of elections either. If it is taxable, can I deduct mileage and gas for having to go to the training sites and polling place too? I always thought being a poll worker was a service you did because of the long hours at work, etc. Thanks to all who answers.

Favorite Answer

Yes, it is taxable income. (I also work as a poll-worker here in Ohio. We get paid about $120 for the training and the long day on election day.)

I was like you, when I "volunteered" for this job a few years ago, I had no idea that it was paid. But, if they're going to pay me, I'll take it (thank you very much).

As for deducting mileage and gas, you're going to have to come up with enough Schedule A deductions to make it worth your while. (And, since this is not a "charitable contribution," you're also going to have to have enough of those deductions to first meet the threshold.) If you think that simply claiming the income is too complex then, your Schedule A is going to stop you dead in your tracks.

But, I disagree with the advice that kckid2 gave you regarding refusing the compensation. From my point-of-view, they're going to pay you $200 for training and a (very) long day's work. And all you have to do is write down "$200" on line 21 of your 1040 form. I don't understand where the problem or difficulty is?

So, you're going to pay $25, $35, or $45 dollars tax on that income and pocket the rest -- why would you even think about not claiming it as income?

• ?

As you are apparently 13, no you didn't.