Peter
Peter asked in SportsOther - Sports · 4 years ago

Will my 9mm stop a black bear and do they make noises before they attack or do they just sneak up on you?

Favorite Answer

I would regard a typical, non-magnum handgun as being more like a last line of defense against a potentially dangerous animal. (a 10 mm semiauto might be an exception). If I were backpacking, with no intention of hunting, and was looking for a compact handgun to put in my backpack, most likely I would pick a semiautomatic in either 9 mm, .40 S and W, or .45 ACP. Of those three calibers, the .45 would be the best as far as stopping power goes.

If you are taking a trip afield and don't mind the extra bulk and weight, you ought to consider a magnum revolver, such as a Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk in .41 magnum or .44 magnum.

Will a 9 mm kill a black bear? Yes, but only at very short range (less than 25 yards) and most likely it would take multiple shots.

• Necoo

Stop using alternate accounts to talk about how much you want to kill bears!