Ethan
Ethan asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 3 years ago

I want to be a farmer? How would I do that?

I'm only fourteen and I've lived in the city my whole life.

Having my own farm, raising animals, and growing crops, would be awesome.

Does anyone know how I could accomphish my dream?

Do I need some kind of permit?

(Im just thinking ahead)

Thanks!

Shannon

Favorite Answer

Shannon,

I'm really excited to hear that you are interested in the field of agriculture.

First off you would not need a permit unless you are going to have some sort of specialty animal or crop (like deer or elk for example)

My advice to you would be to take some Agriculture classes in High School if you can and join a club like 4-H or FFA. Next, you need to think about if you want to be a full time farmer and try to get your entire paycheck from your farm or if you want to just farm on the side (you might consider that it is very hard to start from scratch and make a lot of money from just farming), you can still work with plants and/or animals as a job to supplement your income off the farm (for example I am going to school to be an Animal Science professor but I plan to take over my family's beef farm as well). I will recomend that you should go to college because no matter what you do an education will help... and I would suggest some sort of either Major or Minor in the Agriculture field.... while you are in college you should try internships that will give you hands on experience for whatever you plan to do in life ( Where I go to school there are people that come by trying to recruit for summer internships all the time, with things ranging from crop management to working on cattle ranches.

One other thing that you need to be aware of is that in order to start a farm from scratch it takes quite a bit of time and money but I am confident that you can do it if you are as passionate about this as you seem...

Good luck and best wishes,

Cody

• John

Slow to load and I didn't read the whole thing, but you should:

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/09/want-farmer/