What exactly is the Rockerfeller Center?

I know I could not sound more idiotic right now but hear me out. I'm heading to New York in the summer and I'm trying to 1. Plan my days and 2. Figure out whether it would appeal to me but I don't know what the sort of main things are to do there and how long I would likely spend there. Advice?

6 Answers

Relevance
  •  
    Lv 6
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a place you can visit to see concerts, stage shows, TV shows (Today, The Tonight Show, Late Night, SNL). There are also shops, the Top of the Rock observation deck, and an ice skating rink that people go to in the winter near the big Christmas tree. Basically it's a complex of tall office buildings that each serve their own purpose.

A trip to Top of the Rock would probably cost you a little over an hour: 15 min. for tickets and the elevator, 45 min. to take in views of the city around you, etc. There are other high-rise observation decks (Empire State Bldg, One World Observatory, Statue of Liberty pedestal and crown), but Top of the Rock has the best views of points north of Midtown Manhattan and it's open till midnight.

• 4 years ago

Here are a few things I think you'll find interesting in NYC. The status of Liberty and Ellis Island, South Street Seaport, The top of the empire state building, See the phantom of the opera on Broadway, Have dinner at Carmines in the Theater district. The High Line, Chelsea Market, 34th street, St. Patrick Cathedral. Rockefeller center. Times Square. Museum of natural history. Central park. While at the High Line go to the Frying Pan and have a beer and lunch. I think there is enough here for a couple of weeks visit. Plan carefully.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

It's an area centered around the office building which houses the nation headquarters and studios of NBC. There's a large theater there for shows and an observation deck atop the skyscraper as well as tours of some of the NBC studios. In winter there's an ice skating rink at the bottom.

• Mamie
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

ROCKEFELLER CENTER (not Rockerfeller)

The landmark buildings comprise over 8,000,000 square feet (743,000 m2) on 22 acres (89,000 m2) in Midtown, bounded by Fifth and Sixth avenues, and from 48th Street to 51st Street. These are co-owned by Tishman-Speyer, and open to the public.

1 Rockefeller Plaza – The original Time–Life Building; an original tenant was General Dynamics, for whom the building was briefly named.

10 Rockefeller Plaza – Originally the Holland House, then the Eastern Air Lines Building. Currently home of Today Show studios.[17] and the Nintendo World Store.

30 Rockefeller Plaza ("30 Rock") – Originally the RCA Building, in 1988 it was renamed the GE Building, and in 2015 became the Comcast Building. Headquarters of NBC, the Rainbow Room restaurant is located on the 65th floor.

50 Rockefeller Plaza – Formerly the Associated Press Building and home to many news agencies. Isamu Noguchi's large, nine-ton stainless steel panel, News, holds the place of honor above the building's entrance. Noguchi's design depicts the various forms of communications used by journalists in the 1930s. The only building in the Center built to the outer limits of its lot line, 50 Rock took its shape from the main tenant's need for a single, undivided, loft-like newsroom as large as the lot could accommodate. At one point, four million feet of transmission wire were embedded in conduits on the building's fourth floor.

1230 Avenue of the Americas – Formerly U.S. Rubber/Uniroyal Building, now the Simon & Schuster Building

1250 Avenue of the Americas – Serves as an annex building to 30 Rock.

1260 Avenue of the Americas – Radio City Music Hall

1270 Avenue of the Americas – Originally the RKO Building, later the American Metal Climax (AMAX) Building

600 Fifth Avenue – Formerly the Sinclair Oil Building

610 Fifth Avenue – La Maison Francaise

620 Fifth Avenue – The British Empire Building

626 Fifth Avenue – Palazzo d'Italia

45 Rockefeller Plaza – The International Building, also bears the address 630 Fifth Ave.

636 Fifth Avenue – The International Building North

1236 Avenue of the Americas – The Center Theatre; the only structure in the original Rockefeller Center to be demolished (1954); used as an NBC television studio at the time of demolition, it was replaced by an extension of 1230 Avenue of the Americas.

Extensions

75 Rockefeller Plaza

75 Rockefeller Plaza – built in 1947, originally the Esso Building, later the Time Warner Building; now owned by Mohamed Al Fayed[18] and managed and leased by RXR Realty[19]

1211 Avenue of the Americas – Originally the Celanese Building, now the News Corp Building; 1211 is owned by an affiliate of Beacon Capital Partners, and leasing is managed by Cushman & Wakefield.[20]

1221 Avenue of the Americas – formerly the McGraw-Hill Building; owned by the Rockefeller Group

1251 Avenue of the Americas – formerly the Exxon Building[21]

1271 Avenue of the Americas –formerly the Time & Life Building; owned by the Rockefeller Group

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Mamie described it best.

i saw it for the first time during Christmas season a few years ago = totally under whelmed.

If you are in the area, take a walk through it. Don't make a special trip for it.

• 4 years ago

Nothing much.

It's an ode to art deco style of building. There are also observation decks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.