Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 4 years ago

How can I sell this dumb I bond my dad bought me when I was born in 1998?

He bought me a $10,000 I bond when I was born and he gave it to me when I graduated high school.

The last answer is wrong: An I-Bond is not a marketable security: You do not need a broker to sell it: Go online: It depends on whether your father bought it as a Legacy treasury investment or treasury direct investment: If you have the actual tangible bond in your hand, it is a legacy: Just complete the back and take it to your local bank

I qualify to answer this question because I have plenty of I-bonds

The earliest I bonds were issued 5/1997 and a $10,000 bond would be worth $26K now. Nice gift, even after you pay the taxes on $16K of interest.

By the way, if you do cash in the bond, if it's now, you'll be subject to kiddie tax.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but if your dad bought a $10,000 bond for you when you were born and you're calling it dumb, than give it back to him you ungrateful little shlt

Make sure you understand the taxes that you will owe on the income before you decide to cash it in. It might pay to wait until you are an adult off your parents tax returns. The bond may not be as dumb as you are.

• Robt

Try actually asking local educated adults for actual info locally in ur country.

What uneducated clueless uninformed kid sells a bond?

U CASH it in.

• Anna E

If it is a US savings bond, go to your local bank and they will tell you how to cash the bond in. It has to be done through Treasurydirect.com, the Federal Treasury website.

Take Tips stock broker

• Judy

Gee, doesn't sound DUMB. You can cash it at a bank.

• Bob

sell it through a stock broker

It has to mature (come up to the due date) to get back what it's worth.