Are suvs as capable as trucks?

I've recently been In the market for a new vehicle for my job. I decided that I liked the Nissan Titan over the Silverado. Today I went to my local Nissan Dealership which is also next to a Toyota dealership owned by the same individual to give me an estimate for the trade in value of my Camaro. Before i left the salesman talked me into looking at a 4Runner trd pro. I test drove it and loved it. It made me wonder though, are suvs as capable when needed as trucks? The reason I'm getting a new vehicle is I need something more practical. Thank you

Favorite Answer

Capable for what?

A Camaro is a perfectly capable car, as long as you don't want to haul a heavy load or lots of people.

A 4Runner is a decent vehicle, 5 seats and a decent luggage space, with AWD for the snow and some light off roading etc.

A "Truck" is for carrying or towing heavier loads. They generally don't handle or perform as well (because of their weight), and fuel economy sucks on a heavier vehicle. If you need to tow a boat or camper, then you accept this and get a real truck.

Personally I find my little V6 Toyota hatchback with a utility trailer can handle everything I need. But then I don't have to tow a 2 ton boat around.

So what you YOU need from your vehicle?

Most SUV are equally as capable as a pickup truck. In fact many SUVs are built on the same chassis as their pickup truck cousins.

The biggest difference is cargo capacity vs passenger capacity. You can't throw a ton of rocks in the back of an SUV and you can't carry 6 friends to the lake in a pick up truck.

An SUV is just a glorified station wagon.

a truck on the other hand is built to haul things and take some abuse.

The ONLY SUV still being made that is as durable is the Suburban or GMC's equivalent.

Can you haul lumber in an suv? How about rock or dirt?? If you need a truck buy a truck. Do your research Nissan Titan don't do as well on fuel as others.

That's why the seats fold.