I have a 00 528i BMW which has a lot of miles but runs great about 200k miles but always needs coolent?

We had the water pump replaced due to it stopped working also the radiator broke so that was also replaced and everything was working fine but I been noticing it's been needing a lot of coolent like almost every time I need to put coolent cause it's low in why tho it doesn't leak and today I noticed it on the ground like little drops and I opened the cap and it was steaming hot and coolent came out and this was when the car was in use so the engine was hot but I don't know what's going on any ideas thanks

Favorite Answer

Check under your gas cap and on your dipstick for a white milky substance. If you see it, then coolant is getting mixed with oil due to a bad head gasket. The M52 series engines are very well built but some start popping head gaskets north of 175k.

If there is no milky sludge then you need to look over the rest of the coolant system. Yes, you did the water pump and radiator, but how about the expansion tank? The expansion tank on BMW's inline sixes is notorious for cracking and coolant can leak out while the car is running. The tank should be replaced along with the water pump as part of the cooling system refresh.

The oil is either being consumed by the engine (blown head gasket / expensive) or it is leaking from somewhere in the cooling system, likely while the car is running and driving (annoying but usually not terribly expensive to fix).

Source(s): I've owned three BMWs, all of which had the same or the immediate successor to your engine.

You need to have a "block test" done. That determines if the head gasket is leaking and burning antifreeze. if the water pump quit working and the radiator was replaced there is a good chance you've over heated the motor enough to blow the head gasket.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

BMW's water pumps, in my experience are prone to leak. I had one that barely made it past the warranty and I had to replace it yet again due to leaking.

• Frank3 years agoReport

I mean I haven't even had the water pump for more then 3 months

Jejsd

• don r

Break the piggy bank and go to the shop to have the car checked. I'm guessing you have head gasket problems or worse.

possible blown heater matrix , lift the carpet on the passenger side and see it it's soaked with coolant