There's smoke coming from inside my coolant reservoir. What could it possibly be?

Recently I've been smelling coolant from under my hood every time my car is running for long periods of time. I work long hours so i didn't have the time to stop at a auto shop. Today as i was leaving work i notice smoke from under my hood but the temperature gauge was low when i got home and opened my hood, the smoke was coming from directly inside the coolant reservoir. Will this be a expensive fix?

If the reservoir is empty you have a leak somewhere. If you're lucky it's a hose which is leaking, not so lucky is if it's the radiator which has failed. Really bad news is if the coolant is leaking into the engine.

A low temperature gauge indicate low coolant level, how long does it take to check before driving?

When the engine cools check the coolant level in the radiator. You may be loosing coolant and when it gets low enough your temperature gauge won't read correctly. If you can smell coolant I suspect you have a leak.

• don r

Not if it's steam.

^^^^^^^^^^P.s. i already added coolant prior to this happening.