How common is it for people to be highly sensitive to thing like noise and fragrances?

I'm 44, male, and am extremely sensitive to artificial fragrances like perfumes, scented hand lotions & cosmetics. I haven't always been as sensitive as I am now, it has developed during the last 10+ years or so. If someone is wearing cologne/perfume, I have to get away. I can't stand scented laundry detergents & fabric softeners either, or any kind of smoke like cigarettes or pot.

Also I can't stand loud noises or being in busy public places for long. A car alarm in the parking lot shocks me; I can't stand it if some one is having a Facetime conversation in a public place like a cafe or watching a video on their phone esp when there's already music playing through the restaurant's speakers. I sleep with a white noise machine to block out outside noise.

And don't even get me started on food--I'm a finicky eater as well.

Anyway, just wondering if there are others like me out there?

• Kelli
    Favorite Answer

There are lots of people like u out there. People weren't designed to have to listen to car alarms, & other annoying artificial noises. Some people are more sensitive than others. I hate the noise of motorcycles, they drive me nuts. I actually like the smell of scented soap, like orange, coconut, it's like aroma therapy, but don't like strong perfume smells. Many people are noise sensitive, & we live in a very noisy world. It's just not natural. I also sleep with a sound therapy natural sounds machine to block out noise. The sound of rain is particularly soothing.

Aye, I not sure how common it is, but I also hate, perfumes, also loud noises, music etc. Not really answered your question but you aint alone.