Toyota 4runner are they reliable and a good overall SUV?

I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma double cab sr5 4x4 and am really happy with it. My wife has a 98 Jeep Cherokee that's falling apart and wants a newer (2015-16) SUV and likes the 4runner TRD. Is it reliable and safe? I assume so being a Toyota. And will it last a long time? If anything like a Tacoma it would be a nice SUV to park next to mine. And the space would be good for 2 kids and cargo.

Would the 4 runner be a good long lasting reliable choice? Neither of us are I to crossovers and like actual SUVs

Thanks

Favorite Answer

4 Runner is decent. Not quite as good as its predecessor But should last 20 years with decent maintenance.

• elhigh

To assume a Jeep is no good isn't giving your vehicle proper credit - your Cherokee is, after all, 18 years old. To have it fail after only 18 years tells me that you have either not done a fabulous job of taking care of it, or else you got a bad example. I know of lots of 80s Cherokees that are trundling along in fine shape, let alone 90s models.

That said, I have never found the access to the back seat of a Cherokee to be all that good, and you mentioned kids. I would stay away from the Cherokee on that basis alone. My own kids are grown and I find myself attracted to the hard-to-find 2-door 80s Cherokees, but that's me.

The 4Runner has plenty of power without going to the TRD model with the supercharger (if that's what you mean when you call out the TRD designation). It gets crap mileage and the supercharger isn't going to improve that. If you seriously believe you need the extra power, get a V8 model instead.

Or don't. Like I said, the V6 is plenty of power. You won't be towing every day, so when you're towing you'll just have to give a bit more welly, but the rest of the time you won't be wasting a lot of fuel spinning the supercharger when its extra output is unneeded.

If you insist on having the SUV - you don't need it, you WANT it, there's a big difference - then a 4Runner from 07 or later will do you well. The 1GR-FE V6 have been noted for having some head gasket problems but that's only on earlier years, 07 and later are fine in that generation.

I have a 1987 Toyota Truck - it was never given a model name in the States, they just called it the Truck and left it at that, though other parts of the world called it the Hilux - which I bought new. It has over 200,000 miles and is going strong. That information doesn't actually help you since you are skipping a couple of model generations when you look at 2006 and later, but if you wanted a 4Runner from the late 80s, I would say that was probably a safe investment, if you know to look for the likely trouble spots of body rust.

Just in case you don't know, the Jeep Cherokee of your vintage used the same automatic transmission found in the 4Runner of that vintage. Yes. It was an AISIN... which is owned by Toyota. That's why you have so many years out of it. Most Jeeps from the 80s and 90's have been rebuilt. that's why you see them driving around. I know people that pampered them that were lucky to get 10 years out of an older Jeep. 18 years out of that Cherokee shows you took care of it. Things get old and need work. It sounds like it served you well all of these years. the new 4 Runner is rated the most Reliable vehicle according to Consumer Reports.

toys running gear and drive train are second to none. AISIN foundries are to blame. AISIN products are rated higher in same weight class for all production platforms. only when one gets into exotics like strange and the like will AISIN be outclassed. I own two toy 4x4's.

I don't like the jeeps. inlaws have a 2014 ruby. short wheel base. good for off roading I suppose, but taking a trip on the open hwy, forget it. there is no *sweet* spot going down the hwy. one must maintain vigilance when steering at all times. cause a short wheel base platform want's to wander more so than longer platforms.

old fart. turning wrenches since 1969.

unless you need an suv that is that one, you might want to look at highlanders with a 4 cylinder