Re: i3. I am looking for a car that can go un-driven for up to 6 months at a time.Would an electric car tolerate this better than a gas car?

Favorite Answer

I have had vehicles that I do not drive in the winter for sometimes 4 months, including one car I had for 18 years. For modern cars with sealed gas tanks and fuel injection, about all you need to do is fill up the fuel tank and keep the battery from running down (alarm system). Extreme weather can freeze and split a battery that is discharged. One year I used a 5 watt solar panel propped up in the windshield to keep the battery up and kept snow off of the windshield. But otherwise I use a battery tender intended for that purpose to keep the battery topped up without overcharging.

Batteries die and need recharging. Cars are put into storage all the time. They still have to be maintained even if they are not being driven. Seals dry out on gas cars when they are not driven. I'm sure the same applies to the mechanical side of electric cars. If, for some reason, you're not driving a car for 6 months then maybe a lease is the better deal.