Trying to delete my 32bit windows 10 off my SSD to install a 64 bit version. Having startup repair issues?

Hi i'm trying to replace my 32 bit version of windows 10 with a 64 bit version. I have 2 hard drives, including a SSD and a WB Black series 1TB. My windows 10 is on the SSD. It's a newly built pc and I used the free version of windows 10.

I tried installing windows 10 by usb like I did before and got the message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table". I just assumed I was supposed to format it(and I did the delete option first by accident). Which I'm guessing lead to me not even being able to start windows now. The error being "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC"

I tried troubleshoot>reset this pc>keep my files which gave me this. "The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again" I tried the remove everything option and that lead to "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

I was running into this Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt error, but I no longer get that. I tried some command prompt solutions I found which are down below.

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

chkdsk /r c:

chkdsk /r d:

I think that's everything I tried, again I'm just trying to remove my current 32 bit windows 10 and install a 64 bit version. Not sure what to do now.

• Dave
    Best Answer

You need to delete all partitions on the SSD and start over from scratch.

• Dave
      3 years agoReport

You boot off of your install media.