What can I wear to funeral?

I'm a 14 year old girl. I'm going to a funeral soon but I don't know what to wear because this is my first funeral. I only have a plaid shirt and black jeans. The plaid shirt is white gray and black. Is this appropriate to wear?

Thank you!!

There is really no dress code for funerals. The all black thing is a courtesy, not a dress code. Most funeral homes advise people to dress nice rather than worry about being in all black. I've been to far too many lately and I have seen everything from a widow in a tan and pink pant suit to a teen girl in a body con sequined dress saying it was the only black thing she owned and she didn't want to seem disrespectful to her secret crush's father who died. She would have been better off is anything BUT a black clubbing dress. I had an aunt request that everyone wear bright colors and anyone who showed up in all black had to wear a red clown nose.

Black jeans are okay and if the plaid shirt is the only thing you have then wear it. You are 14 so whatever you wear will be appropriate for your age. What's important and more appreciated by the family is that you are THERE, not what you wear.

• Kevin

There is really no dress code for funerals. The all black thing is a courtesy, not a dress code.If you have a I'd or gray skirt or dress that's not too short that's best. If you don't then the black jeans are ok. I know fashion is important to teens but that day is not about you and as long as you look respectable, you will be fine.

• Alex

A funeral is about showing respect to the person who passed. You can show this respect by what you wear. I tend to think Jeans and a plaid shirt may be too casual for this kind of event depending on the style and cut. Think Sunday bests. If you pair the jean with nice flats or heal instead of trainer and if the plaid shirt is a nice well fitted one, ironed and neat not oversized or frumpy looking it may be ok. You can tone down the plaid with a cardigan or a sweater. The respect comes with the effort you put into your outfit not so much with what you wear. As long as what you look like shows that you are clean and well put together and did not just roll out of bed and put up the first thing off the floor, you will be fine. I am very sorry for you loss.

If there was no dress code specified like "wear white" try to wear black or dark colors but if you dont have that wear whatever you feel is respectful, the important thing is to be there for the people who are grieving and to say goodbye, people wont judge you unless you wear a pink top that looks intentional, When that happens to my mom and shes wearing something bright she borrows the top of whoever has the darkest color on, or borrow a black top from a friend and explain, Ive lent black clothes to people all the time for funerals that caught them by sruprise at school and they couldnt go change to their houses, people usually dont say no to this,sorry for your loss and remember funerals are for the living, be there for the people who are hurting

I mean, funerals have no dress code. I think plaid and jeans is maybe a bit too casual for a funeral, but that's just my opinion. I'm a 14-year old girl too, and i hate dresses. To my grandpas funeral last year I wore a black suit, and to another funeral I wore black pants and a black, thin button-up. It's really up to you, or maybe you could ask your parent(s)?

It really does depend on the specific funeral. I have heard of a funeral where people wore football shirts to commemorate the diseases persons favourite football team, or their favourite colour. Normally the general theme is dark colours. If you do not have anything that is black then dark grey is also acceptable. I would be very surprised if someone was upset by this.. Unless it was black themed and you turned up in bright yellow or something.

The jeans are fine, but I wouldn't wear a plaid shirt to a funeral.

Typically the dress code for funeral is more professional as it is usually in a church based setting. Jeans will not be suited. Also black, white and gray are appropriate colors. Do you have a skirt or professional pants that can go with your plain shirt

No. I would get a nice black dress or a black skirt and shirt and wear black dress shoes. It would be a lot more respectful to the deceased. Ask your parents what they'll be wearing, and try to use that as a guide for how formal you want to dress. When I was almost 6 my grandma died, and my dad, uncle, and cousins all wore black suits, and I think all the women wore dresses. I remember wearing a black velvet skirt suit and patent leathers.

Black for immediate family (parents, siblings, spouse, adult children), Navy for close family and friends. Charcoal and grey for work friends and associates.

I don't think jeans are appropriate. You might want to get a dress, knee length, in a neutral color. I know fashion is important to teens but that day is not about you and as long as you look respectable, you will be fine.

BTW, 10 and younger can wear pastels.