Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 3 years ago

Can any working-class, low-income Republican explain why they hate Obamacare so much?

Favorite Answer

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (P.L.111-148) and its supplemental Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act (P.L.111-152), a.k.a., Obama Care or the Affordable Care Act (ACA), is not insurance, and never has been. What the ACA means is long-needed consumer-protecting reforms for the Nixon and Reagan (GOP) deregulated 1300 for-profit greed-driven insurers.

John W.: You are either making a massive amount of money each year in salary, or you are actually lying about your monthly health care costs---or about even trying the Affordable Care provisions. I suggest you go to healthcare.gov and find out for yourself the many benefits available to us thanks to Obama Care. Did you know, for example, about the "80/20 Rule" of ACA? This rule requires that the insurers must now spend at least 80% of every premium dollar you (the consumers) pay ON YOU in the year or else they have to (and they hate this) REFUND THE DIFFERENCE to you at the end of each year! This is something I think CAR INSURERS should have to do, too...and a definite plus for Obama Care!

If you make 133% above the federal poverty line in taxable income, you qualify for expanded Medicaid, which is no cost or a minimal cost, assuming your state's right-wing Republican governor or legislature has not foolishly BLOCKED this ACA provision for no good reason. If you happen to make as much as 400% above that poverty line, you then qualify for a federal subsidy in the form of a TAX REBATE at the end of each year, so you do get offsets to make health coverage affordable. Check it out for yourself.

All insurers' policy offerings must now (by law of the ACA) include free preventive care---no hidden fees or predatory co-pays allowed. Thanks to Obama Care, mental health coverage has to be included in each policy, and so do pregnancies for women and erectile dysfunction for men. No greedy-gut insurance CEO can drop any premium-payers' coverage if the insured become ill or injured, thanks to ACA, and you cannot be denied coverage for any trumped up (con job) "preexisting condition" as was common in the wake of the Nixon and Reagan years.

Small business owners can now join a pool of other small business owners in order to have more CLOUT when negotiating coverage prices; the hand-written medical records nationwide were changed to computerized records (thus saving huge administrative costs while reducing medical costs for the long-term); college students (including med students or nurses) can now make low-interest DIRECT LOANS through the Department of Education (banking lobbyists hate this, of course), thus eliminating high-interest banksters as middlemen; children up to age 26 can remain on parental policies; the gap in prescription coverage for seniors has been closed; and there can be no life-time caps on coverage.

There is a whole lot to like about the Affordable Care Act ("Obama Care")---but the insurance lobbyists, pharmaceutical industry, banksters, and right-wing Republicans who take donation dollars from these trillion-dollar industries want to go back to all-profit, no out-pays that we had before the reforms. We, the American people, need to block going backwards.

• To: K8 You have resources with ACA about which you appear to know nothing. Please go to the whitehouse.gov website and also to healthcare.gov to discuss your complaints and concerns. The ability to POOL RESOURCES with other small business owners is part of the Act.

• K8

My husband and I work and are on the low income side. I live a self sufficient, low overhead life out in the country. I have no debt, a mortgage free house (paid it off a few years ago), and very low bills. We do just fine and require no help.

Before Obamacare we had usable and affordable health insurance. It was cancelled. In it's place was "required" VERY expensive not very usable Obamacare insurance. We cannot afford it as everything more than doubled that first year. Now things are even worse.

And we KNOW to what we refer unlike many people who try to tell me how things are even though they have never even looked at the plans since they have insurance through their work. We have read the plans and gathered information and discussed options when trying to decide what to do. We DO NOT want to take subsidies, especially since even with the subsidies using the plans is STILL amazingly expensive, too expensive to use actually, so still NOT affordable even with subsidies. It is truly crap insurance. We have done research each year trying to decide what to to do until this year.

So we went with nothing for a few years. Currently we are part of a health share group that is affordable and it's working (we researched and they have been around for 25 years). It's not health insurance, but we now have something in case something serious occurs. And it's usable and affordable. Unlike Obamacare.

In addition, people are often limited to 29 hours of work in order for the employer to avoid the mandate. This has affected our son, some nieces and nephews, and some friends. They had to get another job to get to full time employment.

Other people have lost jobs because the company had to downsize to avoid the mandate.

• Obamacare is NOT insurance. The insurers have to ABIDE BY THE CONSUMER PROTECTIONS built into the Affordable Care Act---to include FREE preventive care, no more dumping you if you get ill or injured, etc. Please take the time to READ THE ACA before you listen to lobbyists.

Because it doesn't really save us money. While the concept/intention was good, the wording of the bill was **** which ended up having the opposite effect intended. Costs are overboard and while it may help low income people, we already HAD a system thst did that if people took the time to apply. However, if someone expects to improve their situation, they lose that benefit (assistance) end up paying out of pocket - and that is the issue. I look towards my better future and see the struggle I will endure tjen due to the poor implementation of the law. That is why I jave an issue with it.

• John W

I am upper middle class barely , but now pay an extra 170 dollars a week for healthcare, that is two new car payments a month

• John W
      3 years agoReport

Well of the 40 million people who once were without insurance, most of them were self employed or could afford it but decided to gamble and not buy insurance. People in poverty were on state run health assistance. I think opening up insurance policies across state lines could bring down costs

why would anyone "love" taxes you get punished for not paying?

what does being a republican have anything to do with it?

as it is... why are illegals enjoying the benefits of health care that working class low income democrats and republicans pay for? that middle income dems and republicans pay for? that rich dems and republicans pay for?

why is it that you racist cowards and liberal hatemongering scum... think a "democrat" by definition supports destructive politics and policies...and racist ones at that?

you seem to have the liberal/regressive scum that you are...confused with democrats...democrats that hated and suffered under obamacare.

tell us, you hypocritical liberal scumbag...and any of you liberal scum are free to answer.

where is the liberal health care plan? create your own health care provider and VOLUNTEER YOURSELF to pay more than you should so that you can accomodate those you PRETEND to care about. in as much as non white racist scum look to get whatever they leech from american society...its you liberal elites, a very large part of the rich in this country that pretend that you are WILLING to pay more.

yet it doesnt exist.... NOTHING that you scum espouse, promote, support do ANY of you actually do of your own free will. why? what is stopping you?

why is it that you liberal scumbags will ONLY practice what you preach when you hand over power to the state..and its guns to enforce it onto EVERYONE. why is it that your "care" does not exist untill state enforcement is involved?

you see...THAT is part of what low income republicans understand is complete and utter tyranical bullshit.

• Kini

Depending on the state, the deductibles are still too high to be of much use and the premiums may be too high. Some feel they are paying for benefits they dont need. And many Americans resent the idea of government forcing them to buy insurance, even if they benefit from another federal law that forces hospitals to treat them when they have no insurance and dont pay.

My husband's employer won't give anyone over 29 hours per week because of it. So thank you Obama for making sure we STAY low income. Get two jobs, you say? My husband just recently got fired from one job because he 'got caught' looking for another one (on his own time). Good thing he got that job or we'd be screwed.

• Ray S
      3 years agoReport

What I'm saying is that Reps could have joined with Dems to tweak the A.C.A.. to make it a lot better than it is today. But, even though the A.C.A./Romneycare is a conservative plan, they wouldn't do that. Things are what they are because Republicans fight everything that benefits the working class.

.

and that includes SS & Medicare/caid & ebt --

incredibly they rant,

"Big Fed Govt telling ME what to do!"

"I WONT give up my LIBERTY! to Big Fed Govt TYRANNY!"

"I can make MY OWN choices!"

--

so they live w/o health care for dental & new teeth, pre natal care, hearing aids, preventive med checks for diabetes, blood pres, sugar, cholesterol, arthritis, cancers, etc etc.

--

just like Josef Goebbels said in 1930s nazi germany,

"The power of propaganda overcomes all else"

.

They prefer just going to the emergency room when they have a cold.

• K8
      3 years agoReport

I went to the local Urgent Care. Cost me $210 to be checked out and x-rayed. When I am sick with a cold, I stay home and wait for it to pass.

It called romney care idiot