Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 3 years ago

Is Devil's Ivy a real ivy? Or why is it referred to as an ivy?

I was looking at plants and Epipremnum aureum is a common house plant. Looking threw the common names and three of them have ivy in the name. According to the wiki its part of the Araceae not the Hedera family. I guess my question is why is some of the common names have ivy in them while others don't.

Favorite Answer

True ivy is Hedera, as you're read.

Commonly, "ivy" is sometimes given to any vining plant. Common names have little to do with taxonomy, and more about just what people call something. There are over two dozen different flowers in the world called "Blue bells" in one region or another. Some people will refer to "pine trees" as ANY evergreen, vaguely christmas-tree-shaped trees.

So don't try and make sense of common names - it's just whatever people call something. It's also why the botanical names are important so we know what we're talking about.