Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 years ago

I left a wrapped chicken breast out for 10 hours, is it safe to heat up to 170 degrees and eat it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • RoyS
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Wrapping means nothing. And pathogens don't NEED 'transporter technology'; they are present on or in foods all the time. Most of the nasty ones are killed by cooking, but, as has been said, cooking won't remove toxins left behind when bacteria are allowed to multiply at unsafe (between 40°F-140°F) temperatures. Two hours is the max recommended 'safe' time food can be left out at room temperature; at 90°F, it's one hour.

I'm fairly reckless about eating 'unsafe' food, but even I would toss chicken that's been left out for ten hours.

• 4 years ago

I'ma say "NO".

While it might be safe if the ambient temperature was hovering around 40 F, anything higher would allow for the proliferation of bacteria. Even though you can kill off bacteria at a temperature of 140 F, you cannot remove the waste they leave therefore those toxins can still make you sick.

By the way, the recommended internal temperature for chicken is 165 F so overkill won't help.

• justa
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

No, its a goner. Unless your room temp is 38 degrees toss it. Losing the chicken breast is much cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.

Meat shouldn't be left out at room temp longer than two hours

• 4 years ago

eat it raw dumb ****

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Toss it unless you want to be the one in the bathroom on Christmas day hugging the toilet rather than Aunt Betty and counting tiles rather than gifts.

• 4 years ago

I'd eat it, after cooking. It's still wrapped---a plus factor---and there is no reason to suppose that pathogenic bacteria have 'transporter technology.'

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.