If I plan to submit applications for both USC and UCLA, will they take second thoughts on accepting me since they're rival schools?

Hey so I'm barely a freshman in HS. I know this is a little early to be looking at colleges, but this has been bugging me for quite some time. Could universities see what other universities you applied for? I'm more of a UCLA fan, but I don't think USC is bad. It's just my second option. But I'm scared that IF UCLA sees That I signed up for USC too, I'm afraid they might think "wow she's not even focused on us. She's also considering our rivals. "

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

The other answers are correct, but I just wanted to add something. University rivalries don't usually extend far beyond sports. Sports rivalries don't really affect things like research partnerships. For example, there are research partnerships between the University of Michigan and Ohio State, two very bitter sports rivals. Universities are places for higher learning and the advancement of research and knowledge - they often work together in these areas, even though they may dislike each other in sports. When you apply to rival schools, they probably won't see (or care) where else you applied. If they do care, that means that they want you, not the other way around.

Bottom line - for admissions, rivalries don't matter.

You submit applications to each school independently without reference to any other school you apply to. They don't go comparing lists of applicants at other schools, rivals or not.

• drip

It is normal for a high school student to apply to at least 3-6 colleges. UCLA will assume they are not the only school you are applying to. Their acceptance or denial has nothing to do with where else you have applied. No university will have the data of what colleges you have applied to or how many you have applied to.