What's up with the series OA and who is Allison Wilke ?

(SPOILERS)

So I finished watching the series The OA. I don't understand it. What does all this nonsense have to do with the school schooting ? Why is this series labelled "Sci-Fi" when it is actually just some drama with Fantasy elements ? What does all this after death have to do with the school shooting, premonitions and special powers ? What does the term "Original Angel" have to do with any of this ?

Could someone simplify the meaning or message of this series ?

and ... Who is Allison Wilke, who is mentioned at the end of this series ?

Favorite Answer

Sci-fi means science fiction. That was science fiction. There was no magic, no unicorns, no elves. The definition of fantasy is generally that it takes place in an imaginary universe. This is not the case with The OA. It takes place on Earth in this dimension. Here is Wikipedia's definition of Scifi: "Science fiction (often shortened to sci-fi or scifi) is a genre of speculative fiction, typically dealing with imaginative concepts such as futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes, and extraterrestrial life." That is why this show is scifi and not "actually just some drama with Fantasy elements". Her premonition was of the school shooting, where the others would help her travel to another dimension through the invisible portal. They did it exactly in time. If they had done it one second later she would've just been shot and died. As she was travelling in the ambulance she went through the portal and i the end, we can assume she gets there and is greeted by Homer and the others. Allison Wilke was an associate producer on the show who recently died. The "Original Angel" means that she is the leader of the angels and the one who guides them. As far as special powers, I don't really think there are any since anyone can perform the movements and, if Hap was able to travel with them to the other dimension, then that means anyone can go. So there really are no special powers. That should answer everything except "What does all this nonsense have to do with the school schooting ?" I'm not sure what you mean by this seeing as I did not witness any nonsensical decisions made by the crew or characters.

Btw- The OA is technically listed as 'TV Dramas' and 'TV Mysteries'

• Perry3 years agoReport

Science Fiction writer Orson Scott Wells said that the difference between fantasy and science fiction is that sci-fi has rivets. Fantasy has trees.

The best answer was by a girl called lily and I agree with everything she said but the only thing I disagree on is that she said everyone could do the movements and go to another dimension which is wrong because Prairie, Homer,Scott,Rachel and Renata all have had an NDE before and they decided to live they decided to make movements like that but Rachel didn't have a movement to give but when Prairie started teaching everyone they had learned the moves but they were not Angels, BBA (Betty Brodrick-Allen), Jesse, French, Steve and Buck were the chosen ones they were chosen and the reason they were chosen is because all of them are connected in a way Steve would be Prairie so Steve+Prairie, French+Scott, Buck+Renata and BBA+Rachel all there personalitys are exactly alike each other but anyway none of them had an NDE which therefore means they aren't angles and if there not angels they can't travel through time and space to a different dimension, univers or even a different reality Thanks.

• Katy3 years agoReport

I think that was a great answer at first I was thinking that doesnt make sense what lily said about we can travel to different dimensions. At first I didn't know how to understand it, than I read you answer and you helped me inderstand thank you 👍👍:-)

I just finished watching the series moments ago and I think I will be pondering it for a couple of days trying to decide where it will go from here. I would assume we will all be watching and waiting to hear when we will get more of this gripping tale. One that occurred to me in regards to the term 'OA' is that the Bible refers to God as the AO, the Alpha and the Omega, or in other words: The begging and the end. God is the beginning and the end. I propose that OA is a play on that in reverse (I am the ending and the beginning). In-other-words, death is just the start of something else, another life or adventure. At one point Hap;s partner mentioned something about exactly that concept; Being able to eliminate the fear of death and rid the world of those nightmares of their demise. Imagine if you knew that this life was just one life and an eternal number of lives, that death was simply a chance to start over? What would you do differently in your life? Instead of living like there is no tomorrow and fearing that you won't wake up in the morning to hear the birds chirping, the sun in the window, and your loved ones faces and voices.

Any, just some philosophical thoughts to ponder.

• Spankey3 years agoReport

Allison Wilkes was one of the directors on the series.

I'm not SURE she found Homer.. her voice is a question as she says his name. If there is another season.. it would be a good starting point.

Prairie had a recurring dream that she finally understood after falling asleep in the bath. She has premonitions and this dream was a premonition that there was going to be a shooting.She ran out of the house to try to stop the shooting.In order to open the portal to look for Homer and the other captives, she needed five people doing the five movements, all at the same time, and believing totally in what they were doing. She had the four already inside the school, and she was clearly doing the movements with them outside by the large window. So - five people who were totally immersed in the experience, all did the movements at once, in perfect synchronicity. Prairie was shot accidentally, but not before the portal had been opened. She has passed through the portal now and is actively looking for Homer and the others she had to leave behind.I thought the last scenes were absolutely beautifully done. I found it incredibly moving when they all stood up and performed the five movements.

• Maybe she was Ernesto but Lee was right. There were 5 inside doing them. The four boys and the teacher. Did you not remember them?

Prairie Johnson is the OA, the original angel given the ability to transcend time and space. But in order to do so she needs 5 movements given to 4 other angels who died and came back. The five movements done together opens up a hole to another dimension we don't know what happens there thats still a mystery but i think we find out more in season 2. After they got all 5 movements, Hap took Prairie away from the rest of the captives and its assumed that he used the movements to go into the other dimension with the captives and left her behind. The entirety of season 1 is Prairie trying to get to the other dimension and reunite with Homer but she needs 5 other people to do the movements with. So she recruits 5 people who all seem to be in bad situations searching for a bigger purpose in life. She tells them her story and teaches them the movements. On Ep 8 Prairie (the OA) has a premonition about the school shooting and runs over to the school. During the shooting the kids and the teacher decide to do the movements together in order to stop the shooter. They are successful and do the movements in perfect unison but Prairie ends up getting shot. At the end of the episode Prairie is taken away into an ambulance and Steve realizes that "its happening" they've opened the door to the other dimension and Prairie is going. He runs after the ambulance but its too late and Prairie is already gone. At the very end it can be assumed that Prairie has reached the other dimension with Homer and the others. We are still left with a lot of unanswered questions like what is the other dimension and whats going to happen with the 5 left behind. But like Prairie says "the future is dark" we don't know.

• Heather3 years agoReport

Just throwing some thoughts out there.....Anyone think that in order to move to the other dimension, the person traveling there must die as a sacrifice? Possibly they have the ability to return? Maybe the movement and the fact that OA was shot, all in unison, was the key to making it all work?

If you ever wonder how David Kersh recruited people to join his cult, OA is the show for you. OA is NOT a science fiction, but a new age show hiding under the guise of science fiction. Just because the mention has mad scientists and utter words like "multiverse" make it science fiction. There is NO science bases doing interpretive dance can open up a portal to another universe. This reminds me of new age guru incorporate astronomy and physics into their spiritual new age practice so that hippies and yoga moms feel like they are in tune with the universe and science backs them up. Back to why this show is about the creation of a cult: The main character manages to recruit underage teens into an abandoned house, telling them she's an "Original Angel" (she must have really wanted walked the runway like those Victoria's Secret" Angels). And it's okay to die, even kill yourself because you'll go on in another dimension. But most importantly, you'll discover the dancers from "So you think you can dance" might possibly open a portal into another universe, because science tell us interpretive dance have potential to open dimensions to another universe. The only thing you'll feel after you watch this show is how it manages to attract so many mindless people thinking new age is science. But don't believe me, do the dance like the show, and you'll disappear right away.

She had the courage to pass through the portal and find Homer. I think they all changed the reality and stopped the school shooting massacre that was about to take place. Whether it was by distracting the shooter or actually changing reality is for the viewer to decide. I like the OA explanation. Omega-Alpha. From the end, the beginning. The movements performed by the five at the end was an incredibly emotional moment.

The OA doesn't count as part of the 5. she needed 5 people other than herself to perform the movements. I do believe it was in the 2nd episode she told Steve to find 4 other people (Steve being the 1st) that are strong and flexible to make this work.

This show is about mental illness, and focuses on teens and culminates with the end scene. OA suffers from schizophrenia and the attributes of angels are frequently associated with those with this disorder. The same can be said for disappearances followed by inability to recollect past events while "gone".. The bad guy in the end is an all to sad result of disassociative personality disorder with psychopathic and antisocial tendencies. I well put together epic of the struggles of mental illness.

• dyymail3 years agoReport

Concept resembles mental illness on the surface but TO Will W's observation, premonition leading to events, time,place etc of school shooting shows correlation/connections and not disjointed unrelated random concepts typical of mental illness.

The show is a kubrickesque metaphorical tribute to the late Tony Scott whom was assumed to be a friend and mentor to Brit Marling. KEEP IN MIND; films like, Concussion and The East (both of which are ScottFree produced ) stories of Jesus and his Apostles, as well as Tony Scott s death to understand. Dont forget the character Scott on The OA. 👌