How does a boiler work at a Lumber Mill?

I work security at a lumber mill we normally don't go in the boiler building but we check the boiler valves across the property on our patrols. I'm just curious how a boiler works and what one is or what it's purpose is?

Favorite Answer

A boiler is basically a giant kettle. Water is heated by burning something, perhaps gas, perhaps oil, perhaps waste timber as it's on site, to produce hot water and steam. This is doubtless used in various timber related processes, such as making particle board, plywood and so on, and may well also heat the buildings.

• Marduk

My father ran a boiler. It makes steam. It's uses are for heat and power. If the lumber mill has a steam powered saw or something like that. I don't know how old it is and may have devices that run under steam. Also the hot water that results when the steam cools can heat the building/s.