How can One Benefit from Learning about One's Heritage?

I have had an increased desire to learn about my Lebanese heritage lately. It feels good to try and get a good grasp of what my ancestors were like. At the same time, I wonder if there is actually anything to gain from looking into the past. I feel like it doesn't really turn me into a different person or... show more I have had an increased desire to learn about my Lebanese heritage lately. It feels good to try and get a good grasp of what my ancestors were like. At the same time, I wonder if there is actually anything to gain from looking into the past. I feel like it doesn't really turn me into a different person or anything. If. I suddenly liked chickpeas and said I did because I am Lebanese, I would seem pretentious.
So, in your opinion, what can you really gain from exploring your family's heritage?