Please can you simplify these texts belong to Charles I of England?

1-

King's troops at Tedingworth [Theddingworth] in com. Leic.

Certayne intelligence that Sir Thomas Fairfax was with all his

forces neare Northampton, following of the King.

Satterday wee marched out of our quarters about two of the

clock in the morning, and intelligence was that the enemy was very neare, and had beate up some quarters, at least given an alarme. A generall rendesvouz of all his Majesties army this morning at Haverburgh at seven of the clock; wee marched in battalia back towards the enemy, who was then very neare; marching up the hills, wee discovered some of the enemyes horse, in parties. About twelve of the clock the battailes joynd; they kept their grownd on the top of the hill, and wee marched up to them through a bottome full off furse bushes; they shott two peices of cannon, wee one: one of theirs was at the King's body of horse, where he was before. No question they had certayne intelligence where he was, for one that came in to the King's troope ran over to them, and they left all others to charge up to his body. The King was accompanied this day with these peeres: the Duke

of Richmond. Earl of Lindsay. George Lord Digby. Lord Bellasis. Earl of Kernwath [Carnwath] Scotus. Lord Astley.

The horso escaped to Leicester this afternoone, and were persued by s body of the enemyes horse and loose scowters, to Great Glyn, and there the Earle of Lichfield charged their loose men with halfe a score horse and beate them back.

2-

In the fire, smoke and confusion

of that day I knew not for my soul whither to incline;

the runaways on both sides were so many, so breathless, so speechless, and so full of

fears that I should not have taken them for men…not a man of them being able to

give me the least hint where the Prince was to be found, both armies both mingled,

both horse and foot, no side keeping to their posts. …In this horrible distraction did I

court the centre, here meeting with… Scots crying out ‘Weys [Woe is] us, we are all

undone’ …as

if their day of doom had overtaken them, and from which they knew

not [where] to fly

Best Answer

1 -

With the King's troops at Theddingworth, in the county of Leicestershire.

We had reliable information that Sir Thomas Fairfax was, with all his troops, near Northampton,

pursuing the King. On Saturday we marched out of our quarters at about two o'clock in the

morning, and our information was that the enemy was very close, and had attacked some troops,

or at least, had caused alarm. There was a general rendezvous of all his Majesty's army this

morning at Haverburgh [old name for (Market) Harborough: dates from 1227] at seven o'clock. We

marched in battalions back towards the enemy, who was then very close. We marched up the hills,

and we discovered some groups of the enemy's cavalry. At about twelve o'clock battle commenced.

They held their ground on the top of the hill, and we marched up to them through a valley that

was full of furze bushes. They fired two cannon, and we fired one, and one of their shots was

aimed at the King's mounted troopers, where he had previously been. There was no doubt about it;

they had reliable information about where he was, because a trooper who went to the King's troopers

ran over to them, and they left all the others to charge up to his soldiers. The King was accompanied

on this day by these noblemen: the Duke of Richmond; Earl of Lindsay; George, Lord Digby; Lord Bellasis

[or: Lord Belasyse]; Earl of Carnwath Scotus [Scotus is a nickname that identifies the bearer as a Scot];

Lord Astley. The cavalry escaped to Leicester this afternoon, and were pursued by a group of the enemy's

mounted troopers and loose scouts [soldiers who were sent to gather information about the enemy's position

and movements], to Great Glen, and there the Earl of Lichfield charged their scattered men with ten

mounted troopers, and he beat them back.

2 -

In the fire, smoke, and confusion that there was on that day, I will swear on my soul that I did not

know which way to turn. There were so many men, who were running from the battle, all out of breath;

all speechless; and so frightened, that I would not have believed that they were men. None of them

could give me the slightest hint about where I could find the Prince, because the troops of one side

were mixed up with troops of the other side, and that includes both mounted troops and infantry, with

neither side being where it ought to be. In this awful confusion I wandered about, and I found some

Scots, who were wailing out, "We are doomed, we are ruined," as if doomsday had arrived, and they did

not know where to go to escape it.

[com. Leic.: abbreviation of comitatus, Latin for county of Leicestershire.

Haverburgh: Cromwell wrote a letter from "Haverbrowe, June 14th 1645" to Speaker of House of Commons.]