Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Atheists, do you try to support secular charity only, or will you give to for example the Salvation Army?

Favorite Answer

I give $200 to the Salvation Army every year. One Christmas when I was a very poor college student, I had my packages, purse with all my money and identification, stolen outside of Macy's in NYC. It had been a hard time for me, my parents had just died, I had no blood family, and I was crushed. The Salvation Army attndent at the Cauldron had seen what happened, reached into the pot and handed me a fistful of money, then took me to a coffee shop until I calmed down. I protested and tried to refuse the money over and over, but the man insisted and I was grateful. When I got home and counted it, it added up to $198.

Atheist

Added: Here's my Christmas, etc., present to everyone - If you shop Amazon, you can select a charity (there are 100s) and Amazon (Amazon Smile) will donate a small percent of your purchases to the charity of your choice, at absolutely no cost to you. It is a painless way to support a cause all year long. If you're interested in hopping on board, go to Amazon through https://smile.amazon.com/, select your charity, and just shop as you normally would.

• sarah

Salvation ARmy actually helps people the others don't.

Most of the money goes to the CEO's at the top.

Humane society for animals uses every penny to help the animals and get them fixed cheaper for poor familys can have a dog or cat. So the only ones I give to.

• Nous

Because research has shown money given to (So called) Chrsitian charities rarely if ever gets to the needy!

You mention the Salvation Army - exposed in the UK because the homeless given aid to pay for a single room bed and breakfast accommodation and breakfast and stay there all day in the warm. The Salvation Army was taking the whole amount and placing the person in dormitory style accommodation and requiring them to leave it by 9.30am anfd not return until at least 5pm. Not only meaning they had to spend the day in thee cold but also driving them to seek solace in drink!

The Salvation Army has a long history of discriminating against gay people. They aren't getting a cent from my gay a$$.

I thoroughly research charities before donating anything. They can't discriminate against any group, and they can't require listening to a sermon or something before being fed. This knocks out many, but not all, religious charities.

• James

I have given to the man with the red bucket and bell before, but I generally tend to favor charities that do not have a religious agenda. These days I'm mostly involved with the Red Cross.

• ?

I tip well, and whatever charity the races I run in is donating to. If I get a choice it's usually make a wish.

We'd rather support any charity with useful help, & not praying. Like the lazy theists.

*shrugs*

I favor secular charities, but I give where the need is great and where the policies of the charity are not overtly or discriminatorily religious.

• CC

I try to only support charities with the lowest administration cut. IOW, where the highest percentage of my money will go towards direct aid instead of administration salaries and fees.

• Archer

My charity is not to promote myself as prescribed in your bible but for the good of others. I will keep my charity as such.