Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 3 years ago

In literature, is WAR a theme?

The reason I ask is because my teacher assigned us summer homework and listed it as a theme. The assignment tells us to keep a reader response log for 8 passages from each work that address ONE of the themes of that novel (see above). Copy the section (1-2 sentences) from the work that relates to the theme along with the page number. Then, explain in 2-3 sentences of your own words how that passage relates to the theme. Bring these on the first day of class.

In the above, it only lists one theme for the book I chose (The Things They Carried): war. How am I suppose to relate the passage to the theme, when the book is about war? It doesn't seem like there's going to be needed much explanation. For example:

"On occasions the war was like a Ping-Pong ball. You could put a fancy spin on it, you could make it dance"

etc.

There seems to require no analysis as the passage IS war.

My MAIN QUESTION is how do I relate a passage to war, if it's describing war itself. Examples would be appreciated.

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

A theme is simply a unifying idea, so "War" can be a theme.

The passage provided is discussing the back and forth nature of war, where advantage seems to quickly change hands to not much advantage to either side.

The passage is about war in so much as that's the theme. It's also about ping-pong, spin, rivalry, strategy, etc. It's quite a rich metaphor.

Whether or not analysis is necessary is side issue best left for a philosophy class. However, two or three sentences of analysis really should be easy.

♣♦