? asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 3 years ago

Does boiling fruit decrease the nutritional value?

My friend makes a delicious drink - she boils different kinds of fruit for about half an hour, and makes a sort of fruit soup out of blueberries, raspberries, apricots, raisins, cherries, and apples. You can pretty much throw any ripe fruit in there, and you don't even have to add sugar. It ends up tasting like a delicious and sweet fruit punch.

My question is, does this process of boiling do anything to the nutritional value of the fruit? Can I expect to get as many vitamins from eating the boiled fruit (and drinking the juice) as I would from eating the fruit fresh?

Favorite Answer

A lot of raw food proponents will tell you that boiling (or otherwise cooking) Fruits and Vegetables can damage and degrade the nutritional value of the food.

Technically, this is true. Some nutrients in most fruits and vegetables are locked in a cellular ‘mesh’. In cooking the food, this mesh is destroyed, and some of the nutrients inside are damaged.

There are two important things to consider, however. First, most of the nutritive value of the food will remain untouched. Secondly, if left uncooked, our digestive systems are not able to access these nutrients anyway, because that cellular ‘mesh’ can not be digested or broken down in its raw state. Cooking the food removes this mesh, and allows our bodies to access these nutrients.

I’d suggest a balance! Incorporate both raw and cooked Fruits and Vegetables into your diet to ensure that you’re getting the most nutrition out of your food that you can.

Will depend on on the context really. Which is better as a snack - fresh fruit personally. It's tastier and gives you that little of sweetness. Which can be better as a snack if you are trying hard to lower back on sugar and lose weight vegetables

• Evan

fruits and veggies when unripe has starches as carbohydrates and converts into fructose when it ripens.

So she made fruit infused water.