Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 4 years ago

How do I convince my parents to let me buy actual clothes brands like Nike, Adidas, Pink, and more?

Every girl at school had brand names on her clothes, i know it doesn't matter but it's so unfair. My parents don't understand that everyone buys that stuff! I never get to shop at those places, Im forced to shop at Kholes, JCpennys, and Sears. Ugh. They keep saying its too expensive but we have money! Were not poor! they keep saying that for the price of one pink shirt i can get three shirts from Sears but it's not the same! I really want to buy good clothes but they don't let me when im 14! What should I do?

Favorite Answer

Maybe you can offer to pay for some of the things yourself. My parents sometimes make me pay for clothes or shoes and stuff, because they have four kids and my tastes are a little expensive at times. They have always tried to teach me the value of the dollar, so since they don't spoil me and actually make me buy some stuff myself, I understand how to spend my money only on things I really want. If it's something important like running shoes my parents won't make me pay for it, they will let me pick the most expensive nike ones, because they know I have foot problems. But if I want uggs, which are less expensive then the other shoes btw, they will make me pay for part of them or wait until my birthday or christmas, because that is a want, not a need. I often like to do the majority of my shopping at stores like forever 21 and american eagle, because they aren't as expensive. Then if it's something like shoes or jeans where you want the brand name to be visable, I am willing to pay a little extra money on those items. But is anyone going to be able to tell the difference between a black and white shirt bought at Abercrombie verses h&m? Probably not. Thats where you have to learn that not everything you wear needs to be brand name. Just be seen wearing a few brand name things and then people will think that everything you wear is brand name. My parents wont let me shop at pink because they think that it's the same thing as victoria's secret, and not appropriate for a 14 year old. They wont let me have things from there even if I pay for it myself. I know how you feel though, I see people with way less money than we have and their parents still buy them whatever they want. My parents wont let me get an iphone because they are too expensive they say and I will literally see people who are starving and cant afford clothes or food but are still able to have a nice phone. It's all about people's priorities, some people are willing to pay for expensive things and some people aren't. My dad is an economist so he is a little more careful with money than most people are. I know that brand names aren't everything but it really does help you fit in at school so I totally get what you are saying. A lot of people on here dont get where you and i are coming from but that is simply because not everyone cares, but that's ok everyone's different. As long as you respect your parents and do not keep nagging them to buy you stuff then it is ok to want brand name things, a lot of people desire that too whether or not they will admit it.

Don't worry there are a lot of cheap an fashionable stores for girls like you. In fact my parents have the money too but I'm rarely allowed to buy pink or like a 200 shoe at nike, not that I need it anyway. My parents aren't cheap but they're teaching me to save money. But I think I have bought one jacket at pink (for 50 dollars!) and it was a great jacket I like and wear it a lot also a lot of the addias clothing you get from other stores that features their brand. Like Pacsun, Urban Outfitters and more. For cheaper clothes I like to shop at Forever 21 (probably one of the cheapest stores for fashionable clothing), H&M and more. If you want fashionable and cheap, then those two stores I mentioned above are probably the best clothing stores for you But I think what you should do (which is what I personally do) is mostly shop wisely and you can spend 50$ here and there on clothes you really want and beg your parents, mom can I please have this jacket? Try and get them to understand, mom is pretty fashionable so she does and is pretty sympathetic sometimes especially if its something I don't have, but my like my dad is just like nope lol. Also just overall learn to shop wisely and try and see if you can make a compromise with your parents!

Lord what a brat! I have a little secret to tell you about all these "little" girls on this site and that is that 80% of them DO NOT wear or shop where they say they do.

I can and do when I want to, I made the money myself and I can spend it, wear anything in the world I want to, can carry any 10K and up priced hand bag and buy the brand names in shoes but I DON'T I love going to the Good Will store and digging around.

In the end you are what you are from the inside not a 3K purse.

You need to quit be so selfish and entitled and listen to your parents. 14 is old enough to know better than this. You are acting like a 5 year old. When you are more mature you will look back on how utterly pathetic it is to wear brand names just so random people at school will know you can afford it. It's really, really, sad. No one at school cares what brands you wear. Only really sad and pathetic people like you care. Cool people don't care.

Furthermore, it's not your money to spend so don't act like you are entitled to it. You parents are not obligated to buy you more than the bare essentials. If you think you need brand names so you can be "cool" get a job and buy it yourself.

Don't be selfish. I'm surprised they haven't put you up for adoption by now.

They are poor and they don't wanna tell you