Anonymous

Do you think id be able to get into any state college ( out of state) with these grades and classes?

I live in new york and I know I want to go out of state for college. Im open to looking into any college theres not a specific in mind. Im not really sure if a state college would accept me with my grades though. Freshman year avg was 83 sophomore was 84 and my junior was an 85. I get poor grades in math and I only have 3 math credits, pre algebra, algebra, and geometry. I feel like that might hurt me because it seems like they want applicants to have taken more advanced math classes. Would any state college consider me do you think? Plus recommendation letters, having service hours, and just doing a few clubs.

Favorite Answer

It depends on the state college, but, yes, there are state colleges that will take you. There are state colleges that basically have open enrollment, meaning they'll accept anyone with a high school degree. University of Nebraska - Kearney is such a university. I can't speak to how good of an education you'll get, but it'll be better than community college or some trade school. Every state has their pretty much anyone can get into state schools that are basically diploma mills. What's more, they're usually the funnest colleges to attend in the state. Michigan as Central Michigan University. Indiana has Ball State University and University of Southern Indiana. Utah has Utah Valley. Arizona has University of Arizona. All these schools are full on four-year schools with 20,000+ thousand students and stadiums and everything to give you the full-on college experience. Know that if you attend an out-of-state school tuition goes sky high. Seriously, tuition triples. Going to any of these schools as an out-of-state student will cost you what it would cost you to go to Harvard and often even more. The most expensive college in America isn't the Ivy League, it's attending state schools as an out-of-state student. The only way around that is to go to the state long enough to set up residency before you apply to school. For example, if you want to go to school in Ohio, you move there when you're 18 but don't start college until your 19 because it generally takes six months or a year to establish residency, depending on the state, and any months you are in college don't count.

• Edith

In most states, say Texas, there are public universities that limit their enrollment. To get into the University of Texas or Texas A&M would require better grades than yours. But, there are other public major universities such as Texas Tech that will accept you. But what will happen is that they will try to flunk you out. All of these schools have the full scholastic programs through PhD. Now, in addition to that, there are branches of these schools that would accept you, such as the University of Texas at San Antonio, which would get you a Bachelor's Degree. So, it is not a question of being admitted, it is a question of graduating with a useful degree. You would not be able to enter the freshman courses without remedial math. What you should do is take more math classes and get a tutor to explain math to you. Probably what your problem is is that you have never had a good math teacher and it has never clicked as to how it works. The social extras will not have any effect on admittance because the requirement is only a high school degree. You should be able to find a few of these schools from the internet, and you should visit the school to see if it fits to you. While you are there, go to the registrars office and talk to them.

• Laurie

Remember, if you go out of state to school, you will have to pay higher tuition as an out-of-state resident.