cathi asked in PetsDogs · 3 years ago

Put blind dog to sleep?

My 8 year old shihtzu had her eye removed and is blind in her other eye. Should I put her to sleep, is it cruel to keep her alive? She acts fine but sleeps all day. She eats, pottys and goes to her bed and water bowl by herself. She is not in ANY pain. HELP

74 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

Well Blind People Use Other Senses Far Better, Than A Seeing Person, Natural Radar, Smell, Hearing, Its Far Better To Let Your Dog Live And It Will Adopt To Use Other Senses, But Its Only Time Some Dogs May Improve Quick Some May Not, Peter Gore Seer..

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

I would not put your dog to sleep even though she's going through hard times with her eyes she seems perfectly well and healthy sleeping a lot is a common thing for dogs to do especially if they had something like this happen but she's not suffering just take really good care of her and gives her lots of love she'll learn to adapt with it just as a person would! Should a person person be suffering just because they became blind? Not necessarily in fact your dog will probably adapt to it and live a perfectly happy life being blind

• 3 years ago

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Don't put your dog to sleep if their blind, they're still living and hopefully still have a good quality of life depending on the owners. If you can't take care of a blind dog I suggest finding someone who can. If their boring life concerns you so much why don't you try to make it a little better, like if they can still smell try using kong toys with peanut butter in them and that'll give your dog something to do for awhile using their nose not their eyes.

• ...Show all comments
    • 3 years agoReport

It's very judgemental of you to call the asker stupid. They were simply asking whether or not their pet will have a good enough quality of life while blind to NOT be euthanized.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Why? Many dogs adjust to "handicaps" far better then many people do. The dog is blind. So what? All you need to do is don't move furniture around a lot and keep the dog on a leash when outside. The dog is healthy, in no pain, and NO reason in this world to put her to sleep.

• 3 years agoReport

It's like service dogs for blind people but the other way round.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

I'm very sorry your dog has lost their sight. Last year, we had to put our family dog to sleep because she had cadaracts in her eyes. They caused her to go blind and experience severe pain. She'd also lost control of her bladder and had trouble walking. We'd had her for 9 years and it was a big loss for us. However, since your dog isn't in any pain and is still relatively young, I'd say 'no' to putting her down. If you don't want to take care of a handicapped dog then try handitng them over to a friend or family member who you know would care for her. Really, many dogs adjust to their handicaps fairly quickly so she shouldn't be much of a problem.

• 3 years ago

I would do some hard thinking first. A good number of blind dogs manage to adjust, and even have some quality of life. Sure, your pet will be special need, but doesn't mean it wont be able to play with you outside, go for walks etc. Your dog will love you just as much, give it love back.

IMHO, just being blind is not sufficient call for euthanasia.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Why would you do something so stupid and SELFISH?! That is just like thinking that just because a human is blind that they need to be killed! Your dog can have a good quality of life even blind. Also it is OBVIOUS that being blind has not impaired her one little bit, just you and your idiot way of thinking. Grow up and deal or if you too immature to deal with a blind dog then surrender her to a NO KILL shelter and they will find someone who will have no problem in loving a blind dog.

• 3 years ago

Blind dogs may need some adjustment (block off stairs for instance, with a pet gate, so they don't fall down it) but no, that's NO reason to euthenize. The dog is handicapped, not suffering. She can live a normal life once she adjusts.

If there was continual pain, yes. If there was cancer progressing fast, yes. But blindness? No.

• 3 years ago

It is completely your choice, but I would keep the poor dog alive for at least another year or so. If he's not in pain, he should be fine. And him sleeping all day is him saying he's an old man and is tired. He's aloud to sleep. So, to the people criticizing the question-asker, go away. You say you wouldn't kill a human for being blind, yet you take the tie to call them stupid and selfish. Good luck with your dog!

• 3 years ago

My dog also lost one eye and is blind in the other due to glaucoma. It took some time for her to adjust, but now she knows her way around the house, how to go up and down the stairs, and she goes outside to use the bathroom without any assistance. After a few weeks, she was her normal self, going on walks and jumping on people whenever they came in the door! Dogs do not rely on eyesight as people do. Your dogs other senses will make up for the lost eyesight. After your dog adjusts, you wont even be able to tell it it blind. Give your dog as much love as you did before, and it will be just as happy now that it is blind. Good luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.