Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 3 years ago

Is my .300 Win Mag enough for Alaskan Brown bear? 180 grain Winchester power point?

Favorite Answer

The 300 should be plenty but the Winchester Power Point design isn't my first choice because swipes a lot of lead into the wound channel so retained weight drops and the rapid expansion might mean less effective penetration into the vitals. Not saying the PP isn't a good bullet,I just think a bonded core or controlled expansion design like a Nosler E-Tip,Accu-Bond or Partition,Winchester MX-3,Barnes TSX, Federal Bonded Bear Claw type loads at 180 grain will reach a little deeper. The idea of bigger is better comes into play on big bears,375 H&H isn't too large,nor is 458 Win Mag,but grizz and Browns have been taken with 30-30s.

I figure a quality bullet isn't too much more cost as hunting insurance when you compare it with getting a big bore rifle.

Read any handloading/reloading manual; and you ll see that the 300 Winchester Magnum is, at least, adequate for downing any one of the large bears. Foolproof? No! But, adequate nonetheless.

Me? I have more than 40 years of hunting experience; and I, certainly, wouldn't recommend that you go after any of the larger big game animals — at any range — with any caliber smaller than the 300 Win. Mag; and whatever brand bullet you use it should be, at least, 180 grains AND bonded.

As far as I'm concerned going after one of the big bears with a rifle like a 243 Win., or a 270 Win., a 308 Win., or even a 30-06 is just plain foolhardy and stupid. (Trust me, you do NOT want to be, that guy.)

[quote] Firearms and Ammunition

There are no simple answers when it comes to selecting a firearm and accompanying ammunition. How accurately you shoot is far more important than the type of rifle, cartridge, and bullet you choose. Alaska has some very large game animals, including 1600-pound mature bull moose and 1500-pound coastal brown bears. Moose or brown bear hit in the gut with a large caliber magnum rifle such as the popular .338 Winchester® Magnum is wounded and just as likely to escape as if it had been hit with a small caliber rifle such as the .243 Winchester®. The bore size, bullet weight, and velocity are of secondary importance to precise bullet placement in the vital heart-lung area.

It is important for the hunter to have a good knowledge of game anatomy, the ability to correctly judge distance, the discipline to take only shots that can be made with certainty, and the ability to shoot accurately from sitting, kneeling, and standing positions. You should be able to reliably place a bullet in a circle the size of the game's heart/lung zone from hunting positions at the distances you expect to be shooting. As long as the caliber is reasonable and a quality bullet is used, hunters kill game quickly and humanely with precise bullet placement.

Select a quality bullet

Winchester (left to right): Partition Gold® 7mm, .30-06, .300, .338, Fail Safe® .375

If you presently own a rifle chambered for the .270 Winchester, 7mm-08, .308 Winchester or .30-06 and can place all of your shots in an 8-inch circle out to 200 yards from a sitting or kneeling position you can be a successful Alaska hunter. To be as effective as possible, these cartridges should be loaded with premium quality bullets that are designed to pass completely through a large game animal, if hit in the heart-lung area.

Big Magnums Not Needed

Absolutely - a larger caliber wouldn't hurt but this will do fine. I'd recommend using Swift A-Frame bullets against an Alaskan Brown also.

• Lv 6
      3 years agoReport

No - that guy does not represent us Texans at all. He is the result of liberals ruining their states then moving to Texas and continuing to push their ideals here.

The Alaskans I've talked to generally want a little more gun. 338 Winchester Magnum and 9.3x62 seem to be the appropriate range, and there are guides who feel even 375 H&H isn't too much!

Yes

You should try a 577-450, with 450 grains

• Alex

Never ever you need a 45-70 cal that's perfect

• BBean

The .300 Win Mag can deliver the mail if you can hit the mailbox in the right place....IOW`s Yes.

• Mr.357

I would use a premium bullet for a big bear.