In which form should I serve pineapple for the most nutrition?

I mix pineapple chunks in my morning oatmeal for the sweet-zing it provides.

Does the nutritional-factor of pineapple change, depending on whether it is frozen vs. served freshly-sliced? - Am I correct to reason the adage that says "the fresher the fruit, the better nutritional value"?

Favorite Answer

Generally frozen pineapple is better for you.

Because the food is frozen shortly after it has been picked and the vitamins and natural sugars have not started to breakdown.

With fresh food, the vitamins and sugars start to breakdown as soon as the food is picked, so that fresh food is best when you have just picked it .. second-best being picked and brought to the farmer's market that day. LEAST best is if it was grown far away, shipped to the store, and has sat on the shelf for a while.

Despite this, I have a prejudice for fresh fruits and vegetables and chose those over frozen ones any day.

But I DO grow my own veggies in the summer.

It is CANNED foods that have the vitamins destroyed by the heat and vacuum processing. And the texture is wrecked too.

For frozen foods, check the package for content. Additives are rarely needed, unless it is a flavored frozen food.

Frozen is as good as fresh in terms of nutrition, and sometimes better, if it is frozen within hours of picking, rather than days of shipping.

• 2017

fresh pineapple chunks or even the juice of the pineapple. Trader Joe's had a good one.

caned pineapple is contaminated with high fructose sugars which is no good

• denise

Fresh cut from the fruit or frozen,because its frozen not long after its picked and prepared.

If you are buying it frozen from the store, it might have more added ingredients to keep it fresh so it will last longer while its sitting on the shelf, if you are freezing it yourself I would say that is just as healthy as freshly cut.

• Gert

Fresh is always best.