Donkey/horse road trip?

So I am planning a road trip on horseback or donkey back from Texas to Washington. I want to stop by the four corners and explore those states a little before finishing in Washington. Does anyone know any trails or rest stops or places I could stay overnight with a donkey? Any information like that would help. Thank you.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Ted
    Lv 6
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You were aware that you can camp for free on most U.S. forest service and BLM(bureau of land management) land? Get up out of the farming areas of Texas and there are many BLM and Forest service lands. You should get a map of where these are. Topographical paper maps can be really handy for finding your way around these areas. You should kind of stay away from Yellowstone or Yosemite as these areas are closed to "Dispersed" camping. There are many "horse" camps along the way to better help you care for your Donkey. Keep to the public water sources, but don't trespass. Many places that run cattle on public lands just don't care if you are there, but try to keep out of site and keep a low profile. If you go through a gate in a fence, close it behind yourself and don't let the stock out. If you want to get a rancher's fire up, leave the gate open. You are going to have to find your own way along and some areas are really hard to find places that allow riding, even along the road ditches. I recommend staying along the Rockies until you get to at least Wyoming or better yet Montana, because there is more water in the northern parts of the country. It shouldn't be a problem once you get to New Mexico, but if you try to travel the southwest route, it can really be a nightmare trying to find enough water for not only the donkey, but yourself. You should carry a hand held water purifier along with you. This can save your life. You should also carry a few tarps and some rope and a knife. This lets you set up a little shelter each night. A couple of lighters might not be a bad idea either to start a fire with. Just keep your fires small. Don't drink any water that is not out of a clean tap or a new water bottle or that you have run through your water filter. Having a fishing rod and a few(20 minimum) jig heads along is not a bad idea either. As long as you have a stream, you can fish for food, wash yourself, your donkey and your clothes. Keep your clothes clean and dry at all times. You candie from exposure if you get too cold. You are going to need to learn some about how to take care of the donkey's hoof's too. Carrying a file and a trim knife along is just a good idea. Taking care of your donkey is key to getting yourself and your donkey there in one piece. Caring for the donkey's teeth is also needed at times you have to "float" their teeth. These are little things, but you need to learn about them to better care for your donkey. You can have a great trip, learn a little and get both yourself and your donkey there in great shape! There are also a great many things to see along the way. There are some really beautiful places along the way and some great fishing and wildlife viewing. Another thing that I should mention is to always "bear camp". This is just a way of camping that lessens the dangers of interaction with bears. Learning bear habits is also a good thing. You stay away from them and they will usually stay away from you. Don't keep food where you sleep or ride where you can't see very far. Food is another thing that you should consider carefully. MRE's are good to carry and things like pre packaged beef jerky or trail bars are good, light things to carry, but your body will need more than these over a few weeks. You have to have some vitamin rich foods along too. Toilet paper is another thing that is a must when travelling in the back country. You can use a re-usable washable rag, but that is not a good option. Firearms, I'm going to talk about them for a second. You should have a large caliber firearm along on any back country trail ride, but pepper spray can work too on a budget. Keep it on your person at all times and keep it ready to go and wear bells on your shoes or keep a radio going to warn the bears that you are there, especially at night. Do you know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear feces? Black bear scat is smaller and contains berries and nuts and grizzly bear **** has bells in it and smells like pepper spray. That's a joke kid. Anyone can do what you are trying to accomplish if they are prepared. There are a lot of other things that can make the trip more enjoyable, but I don't want to spoil all the fun.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Try winnowing rice

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.