I am currently enlisted as a PV2 in the United States Army Reserves. I made a mistake i wanna be an Active duty Marine.?

I joined the split option program last summer and am now awaiting to graduate highschool so i can do my AIT. I feel like i have had a change of heart and i want nothing more then to be a Marine. Is there any way i can negotiate out of my contract and talk to Marine recruiter or is it to late?

I am currently enlisted as a PV2 in the United States Army Reserves. I made a mistake i wanna be an Active duty Marine?

• AD
    Favorite Answer

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that either a girl you like told you that she would like you more if you were a Marine, or your friends that have no interest in enlisting told you that you would be cooler if you was a Marine, or you watched a hardcore USMC commercial and now you want to switch. One can guess which one it is.

I do agree with one thing: active duty has more to offer than Reserves. But I would want active duty Army over the Marines.

But to answer your question, you would have to speak to a Marine Corps recruiter and request a conditional release from the Army Reserves. If your unit grants your conditional release, then you can attempt to enlist into the Marines. If they allow you to enlist, then you will go to Recruit Training sometime after you graduate, since they don't accept Army BCT.

Don't get your hopes up, you haven't even given your unit more than a handful of drills and you aren't even MOS qualified. The chances of them releasing you for anything is somewhere between slim and none. If they decide to release you anyway, then there is no guarantee that the Marines will accept you and if they don't, then back to the Reserves for you.

• Jack

You can change IF your request is approved. But don't count on it. Fill out the proper paperwork and wait for an answer. I used to work with a guy who spent a couple of years in the army and switched to the navy. He was told he would keep his rank and not have to go through basic. Guess who wound up going through basic again. But he got his rank back straight out of basic. It seems somebody messed up some paperwork.

Just don't count on it. He eventually got kicked out of the navy in a forced "retirement" when the navy was downsized.

Talk to a recruiter. But why do you want to be a marine and have the government spit in your face when you are a veteran?

forget it, you are Army now.

nope, not gonna happen

• Mrsjvb

too late now.