My internal hard drive in my Dell desktop died, so I replaced it with a new one. When I insert the Windows 8 recovery disk, it takes me?

through an "installing files" process, but it doesn't actually restore my files and operating system. Instead, it prompts me to insert additional disks. I don't have any other other disks. I only have 1 disk, which Windows created when I purchased the computer.

How can I restore my operating system? Will I now have to go out and purchase it?

FYI: Before my HD died (Seagate 2 TB), I had Windows 10 installed on my desktop, which I upgraded to from Windows 8.1.

I have a Dell Inspirion 660 desktop

My new HD is a WD 2 TB

Favorite Answer

You don't need Windows 8. Since you upgraded to Windows 10, your Windows 10 is free for the life of your ownership on that computer. All you have done is replace the HD so your Win 10 is still valid.

Here is the link to download the media creation tool for Win 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/...

You want to click the "download tool now". Under NO circumstances do you want to "update now" because you have already done that earlier when you have Win 8.

Click the second (+) that says "using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or iso file) to install Windows 10 on a different computer". When you click that to expand you will see in the first sentence that these steps are for " install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10" of which you fall into this group. You need to read the information in this section because it explains to you how to use the tool to get back Win 10.

After you get into the process of the installation, you are going to come to a page where it prompts you for your product key. SKIP THIS STEP. You should have a place to click for you to ignore this. Reason is you do not type in your old Win 8 product key because it has been used to activate Win 10 so the Win 8 key is not valid here. The Win 10 activation is automatic from the Microsoft activation server once your internet connection is made. You should not even know it is happening, as it's seamless, until the end you should get a little prompt saying something like "windows is activated". The activation process is normally very quick and should be done within a few hours. But don't panic if it's not because sometimes the activation server is busy or down for maintenance. If you have not been re-activated within 2 days you will need to contact Microsoft tech spt for them to manually re-activate you.

• Joe.R4 years agoReport

Sorry, I meant to give you 5 stars, but pressed "submit by mistake.

You do have a small problem. The disk you created is only a recovery disk that lets you repair a "broken" windows install. It's not a full factory recovery disc. There should have been an option to create that as well, but many people dismiss it in the excitement of getting a new computer.

You have 3 options.

1 - Contact Dell support and see if they can sell you a set of recovery discs. I haven't checked with Dell, but I know Toshiba will do this if you are in this situation.

2 - Borrow a Win8 DVD of the same version from a friend and install from that. You will probably have to manually reactivate your Windows key over the phone, and will need to get all the system drivers from the Dell support pages and install them manually. But it will get your machine going again for no cost, apart from time.

3 - Install Linux on it. If you HAVE to have windows to run certain software, than that's not an option. If you just do regular desktop and internet stuff, it works fines.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

So yeah, you have several options to get out of your current predicament.

• Don

If when you purchased your desktop you created "recovery media" you should have been instructed by Windows Recovery Media process to use dvds(usually takes 4 or 5) to complete the process. While my desktops and laptop are all HP the all have Windows as an OS(2-Win7 2-Win8.1) and all required 5 dvds to create the Recovery Media. Said media ,included the OS, original software titles(MSOffice trial,60 day Norton or McAffee, Cyberlink basic software, etc.) and all the necessary drivers. When one of the Windows 7 hard drives failed I used the 5 dvds for that computer(they are NOT interchangeable) and within 30 minutes the computer was up and running, needing only to have Windows updates done to bring the OS up to date.

For all my personal files I regularly back them up to dvds or more recently to blu-ray discs. These back up discs can be loaded into any of my computers.

I recommend that everyone create recovery media as soon as they buy a new computer, but make sure they complete the full process. Also keep in mind that the recovery media when made on a Win7 or Win8/8.1 computer will not automatically allow a "free" Win10 upgrade so you may have to check with MS support about that. Any reinstall needs to have updates done but never do more than 10 at a time, no more than 100mb when possible and any large updates(over 75mb) should be done one at a time, yes it is time consuming but it doesn't lock up the computer for hours or days, allowing the chance to take a break and come back to it later.

• Yami

Recovery disc isn't a installation disc. You need a windows disc. Get a Linux disc for now from distrowatch.