promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I want to build a computer but im moving tospain. do i have to be careful which power supply ibuy becauseof the different voltage in europe?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There are two things to look for on a PSU when traveling internationally. First you need to find out if your PSU has Active PFC. If so then all your will need to buy is the plug converter (Spain uses C and F type plugs). A power supply that has Active PFC will automatically adjust to the correct voltage, phase, and frequency. Even if your PSU does not have Active PFC, it may still have a voltage selection switch that allows you to manually switch the PSU to the correct voltage (In Spain and most of Europe it is 230V/50Hz). If your PSU has neither of these features (and I would be extremely surprised if it didn't) then you will need to buy one that does, or buy a PSU when you get to Spain).

• camilo3 years agoReport

Thanks man

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

That would depend on where you are moving from.

Much of Europe used 230 Volts / 50 Hz, the same as Australia, so if you are moving from Australia you should be fine, Mexico uses 127 Volts so if you are coming from there, or the USA which uses 110 Volts then you will need to use a dual voltage power supply or one specifically for Spain.

A reference for the Various Countries and the voltages can be found in the link.

Good luck

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Get one that will work on 110-240 and 50-60 hz. That way you are good whatever country you end up in. You will just have to buy a new power cord to suit the country.

• 3 years ago

Any good power supply (anything rated tier 1 or 2 here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu... ) will switch automatically and even the bad ones have a manual switch on the back.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.